Linwe

Blaise awoke the next morning to an ice clad woodland, he could feel Sara’s soft breathing next to him.  She was still completely huddled into her blanket but the air was warmer now at least.  He gently slid out from behind her and stood up.  The night had been a hideous torture, the air had frozen his lungs, the wind would have whipped his apologies away so he could not even put his mind to rest and lay his guilt.

 Stretching he decided to take a look around the edge of the wood to see if their route was clear.  As he walked he scanned the ground for prints etched into the frost and found none of concern.  They were so close to Crowthorne, all being well today would be their final run.  That would mean Sara walking into Arantor unchanged, he still could see no hope in this plan.

 Distracted as he was he never saw the trap until it was too late.  His foot triggered the goblin noose that had been laid for them.  The thick rope lashed tightly around his ankle dragging him off his feet and into the air.  Upside down even with his phenomenal reactions he could not catch his sword as it dropped from its sheath and landed out of reach on the ground below him.

 As he dangled there his silver eyes scanned the bushes in front of him.  A feint rustling drew his attention.  Two goblins walked out, cowering at first to be this close to a Hîr Ohtacáro warrior but glee soon showed on their ugly faces as they realised he was defenceless.  They both held stubby crude looking swords in their hands.

 They walked towards were Blaise hung, their flat feet skimming over the dead leaves making a whispering rustling sound.  Blaise watched the horrible little creatures clamber over a fallen tree that crossed the path about three feet in front of him.

 “You really think you will get close enough to use those?”  Blaise asked amiably.  He was still wondering how he was going to get out of this one but he was damned if he was going to call for help for two Bog Walkers.

 “Ah, warrior, do you really think we can’t stay out of your reach while we spill your guts?”  The nearest goblin chuckled.

 Blaise lashed forward with his hand to grab the closest one but his fingertips just brushed the slimy skin of its chest.  Both creatures threw their heads back and laughed.  They raised their swords to attack, snarls curling their lips back over their twisted, rotted teeth.  He watched them crouch down on their stubby legs to launch forward.

 As they flew towards him he readied himself to grab them. Before they had taken a stride, from behind Blaise a white light flashed passed his head, it passed between the point of his right ear and the side of his head, he could hear the singeing of his hair as it passed.  This was repeated again a millisecond later between his left ear and his face.  The first goblin somersaulted backward over the tree followed instantly by the second.  Both of them had an arrow protruding dead centre between their eyes.

 As Blaise tried to explain what had just happened a pair of long leather boots landed lightly on the fallen tree in front of him.  From where he was hanging upside down he could see the boots stretch up over the perfect calves, the knees were clad in gilded shielding, the boots circled up the long athletic thighs.  He strained to look higher but from this angle he could see no more.

 He watched one perfect thigh flex and the boots vanished.  He felt a light step land on his upturned bound foot.

 “Now is this what you call royal protection Warrior?” Her voice seared into his soul, relief flooded through his body.  It was short lived as she cut through the cord that held him and dumped him on his head onto the frozen woodland floor.

 Blaise got back to his feet drawing a deep breath and looked at Linwe.  Stepping forward he ran his fingers through the silken lilac of her hair, he watched as the silver shattered the light making her hair look like water.  Her amused Amethyst eyes locked onto his.

 He circled his hand behind her neck and pulled her forward into his kiss.  All the pain and fear washed away from him as he felt her body fold into his with the same effortless ease it always had.  The warmth and power of her body radiated through him.

 “Do the others know yet?”  He whispered a smile touching his lips.

 “Not yet, I slipped away to rescue you from two goblins.”  She laughed lightly at him.

 “Then let’s go and see them.”  He held her hand and they ran back towards the clearing.  Not a sound could be heard from their running feet.