Chapter 2

Beep beep beep. The alarm clock sounded at 7:45am waking me out of the slumber I was in. Stretching out my hand I banged the clock to off and put the pillow over my head in hopes to block the bright sun shining in through my window. However, it was to late I was awake, groaning I rolled over with my head still under the pillow.

Another day without my mom, what am I suppose to do? Its going to be different waking up every morning without her being here.

Getting up I walked to the bathroom connected to my room and turned on the water to the shower. Looking in the mirror I saw the my eyes weren’t as dark as they were yesterday. I stuck my hand to check the water and got in. The tears began to escape down my face as the water ran washing away some my of pain, but not all of it. Sighing I took my time getting clean and when I was done I grabbed the towel hanging next to the shower to dry myself off. Wrapping myself in it I walked to the closet and pulled on my over worn holed skinny jeans and black band tee of AFI.Then put on my moms bracelet of a silver angel that she gave to me at the hospital. She always wore it and said it was her protector and after she goes away it'll protect me. Then grabing the first two pairs of socks in the messy drawer, one neon green and the other plaid purple, and then put on old black ankle converse.

Looking out the window and saw it was raining, so I grabbed the first black zip up jacket in my closet. Brushing out my hair so the waves could be loose I threw on a striped beanie. Flipping up the jacket hood as well I began making my way downstairs to the smell of bacon.

Walking in the kitchen I noticed my dad was cooking and the aroma of bacon came at me stronger. I gaped when I noticed the island counter was filled with eggs, toast, and hash browns. Their was also two place mats, with plates and glasses on the. He was whistling to the tune of Cage the Elephant I knew.

"Oh there ain’t no rest for the wicked, money don’t grow n trees got bills to pay and mouths to feed," sang her father as he flipped more bacon.

Taking a seat at the counter were there was a place mat I listened to him sing as I flipped my hood down. It been a long time since I heard him sing since moms illness. It was odd hearing him sing so soon I thought, but good because he wasn't looking so beaten as he was yesterday. A smile began to grow on my face as I closed my eyes and began listening intently to him sing his heart out while cooking.

The spatula fell as he yelped from being startled. I slowly opened my eyes and looked at him. His face looked shocked, but then it settled down when he noticed I was looking at him.

"Dad are you okay?", I asked with a confused look.

"Oh honey, you startled me," he laughed, "You were so quite I didn't hear you come in."

"Sorry, I was just listening to you. Whats with all the food?", I asked as I placed the napkin on my lap.

He smiled at me, "I figured we needed some good food to help our moods. Is that okay?"

"Oh of course dad, smells yummy," I began placing food onto my plate. He then sat down next to me and began eating as well.

After eating I helped him clean the kitchen up from the big breakfast he made. Flipping the hood back up on my jacket I went to the hall closet and grabbed my backpack.

"Have a good day at school honey, call if you need me," Micah said as I stepped out into the rain.

"Don't worry, I'll be okay dad. Love you," I replied walking towards my jeep. I climbed in and started it up so it could defrost the windows. Sitting in the drivers seat I thought about how much I missed her and how she gave me the jeep. It was hers until she got a new car because she needed 'to grow up and be like a old person', which I thought was absurd. The jeep was yellow with some dents here and there from old age, but it ran smoothly and I loved it.