Chapter 2 - Expect the Unexpected

I had finally arrived at Starbucks, what a relief. Before I opened the door and went inside I tried to calm my nerves down and also not look so tired while walking inside there. My thighs really hurt from all of the running I did just to try and get here on time. I looked at the window to search where Sye was. While I was searched I also used the window as a mirror to see if I looked presentable enough to my best friend. I found him glancing at his watch almost every second and I noticed that wasn’t a good sign at all. Now I had to go in even if it would mean getting a lecture from this guy.

The fresh smell of hot chocolate, coffee and mocha was in the air. Everyone in there were drinking and talking. People in there all had a happy mood on their face and some who spotted me past by looked then smiled and returned to the conversation they were once had a second ago.

Good thing we chose the closest coffee shop to my house but still it was a about a fifteen minute jog or so. I guessed we have chosen this place because we would think that I would sleep overtime and not make it on time, AGAIN, but well that is just some random theory of mine. I can’t believe I am now approaching Sye and I see that he was still glancing at his watch from time to time like he was getting very frustrated and I could actually guess why. It was all because of my stupidity, forgetfulness and my very unusual body clock, in short, my overall self. He was now looking at the busy streets of the city maybe even wondering if I would ever arrive so I tapped his shoulder and caught him by surprise.

“Well you’re fashionably late as usual. We planned to arrive here at eleven than I waited for you for at least an hour, after that I went out of here and tried to find the nearest payphone and called you with it at about twelve just to find out that you have just woke up so after all that, I rushed in here again so annoyed and angry just hoping that you would come here in thirty minutes as you promised and now you have arrived seeming so happy like nothing you did this day was wrong. And by the way you are another five minutes late!” I could now see his eyes were glaring at me with so much rage and disgust, so much for my happy-go-lucky expression plan. I thought this would happen to me since I never really had luck on my side whenever I’m late to one of these things but I had this weird feeling that this day would be different, but I guess I could be wrong. I open my mouth but it would just humiliate me if I said that to him so I needed to think and fast. Then I realized right away what I should’ve said moments ago right after his little speech of his.

“I’m very sorry for making you wait that long. But haven’t you heard? I have a new alarm, it’s my cell – phone and I just got it the moment you called,” I said with a snickering smile. Being sarcastic always kept my rage on a low level, which meant I was always sarcastic. I tried to do it with teachers but as usual that just gets them more enraged with me. They would put me in the most boring hell cell in the world that would have one strict individual sitting at the front desk staring at each person with their owl eyes of curiosity, this place can be also be known as the detention room of the school. If you have been strictly invited to this place with a slip that would say to proceed to it for how many days, you’ll eventually have to stay there after school. But beware that it would eventually go on your permanent record but I didn’t care it wouldn’t affect my grades anyway, right?

“Ha ha. Very funny Aery or should I call you Aeryal, I know that you hate your real name,” he most likely stated with a crooked smile on his face. I just smiled at him patted his very worried but smiling face.

I sit down next to him in a curved red cushion seat that can hold at least three to four people and it also has a small circular table mounted in front of it. Coming to think of it I haven’t even ordered anything for myself yet. So I stand up, get out of the seat and as I was just going to take my first step to the counter Sye stands up and holds my wrist.