Prologue

It was a dark summer night in London, England. The warm and slightly humid air swirled along the almost empty streets. Dan Howell was walking on the sidewalk; each step he took his heart beat would increase in a rapid motion. He was going home. The apartment in which he and his friend Phil Lester called home.

But tonight didn't feel safe, he had a strange dark vibe surrounding him. It felt like sturdy strings were pulling his soul into the earth. His body felt heavy and his head ached; why would a small errand like this exhaust him so much? Maybe it was all his sadness and insecurities that were jumbled up in his mind making it so hard to sleep at night recently.

Dan arrived at the apartment, and opening the door to reveal two people. Phil, and his other friend Peej. They were laughing their hearts out, probably from a pun that Phil made. And even though, he was friends with the two of them he couldn't help but feel slightly jealous. He felt his eyes turn a darker shade of brown as he stared at the two, his anger was building up.

"Phil, I'm home." Dan didn't make eye contact, instead he fiddled with the bags of supplies he was holding. "Finally! I was starting to get worried," Phil sweetly smiled at Dan, but with a bit of concern in his eyes. Peej only glanced up at Dan for a few seconds and giving a small wave. In response Dan put down the bags, forcefully smiled at him and sat down at the nearest seat.

Peej and Phil kept laughing occasionally at some stupid joke or comment. Dan's teeth clenched and if it had been possible, his eyes would have seared holes through Peej. He couldn't stand the thought of Phil being happier with someone other than himself. Anger started building up inside of him, making him shift in his seat. So he excused himself, ran to his room and locked the door.

Maybe if he got his mind off of things, it would help. So he started daydreaming, daydreaming of new possibilities and beyond. The fool dreamt of bringing new forms of magic into the world. But instead he created me, a monster inside his brain.

A monster named Davil.