Chapter IV

═════════════════
C H A P T E R
F O U R
═════════════════

James's POV

THE SOCIAL WORKER comes over to my apartment the next day. She's almost as strict looking as the one yesterday, her hair in a tight bun, and her shoulders back in a way that makes her look like the teacher I had in the 4th grade. That teacher gave me detention so much I practically lived in the classroom.

Her eyes skim the whole place when she gets in, her lips in a straight line. She doesn't look like the kind of person to mess with.

I greet her as politely as I can, and introduce myself. I learn her name is Katherine. I invite her in, to which she replies to with a dirty look and a half-hearted handshake.

There's an awkward silence while she studies the apartment, from what she can see, witch doesn't take very long, because it's tiny.

"As you know, there's certain requirements that apply to having a suitable house for a child," she tells me. Oh I know. I've done a whole load of research on it. Honestly I think they're just picky. Hazel wouldn't care that much.

"We'll need at least one window," she says, and then ticks that off after a second of hesitation.

When you look out the small window in the living room, there's a beautiful view of a brick wall, not even a foot away. It's private, yes, but not exactly the type of view you'd want. Still; it's a window.

"A heating appliance." Tick. I turned up the heat before she came, I could see this question coming.

"Adequate sleeping space for Hazel." She looks at me. I catch the hint and show her where Hazels room would be. It's small, yeah, but there's a bed and a dresser and enough room for toys or whatever she wants. Tick.

She asks more questions before she gets to the end of the list. She sighs and looks at me. "I can see how desperate you are, so," she says. "You're suitable to have Hazel back. Congratulations." She says this reluctantly, I can tell, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to hug her in excitement.

"Thank you so much!" I say. I'm so exited, finally, after four years.

All that's left to do now is sort out things between me and Riley...

═════════════════
A U T H O R S
N O T E
═════════════════

Sorry this is so short! This is more like a filler.
Next chapter Hazel will finally be introduced! I'm only realising she's been in the past few chapters but not in them. You know?
Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment! Xx
- emma