Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

          I was just sitting in my room when my mom had called me to come to the kitchen. "Jocelyn, come downstairs please." I walked downstairs to see what my mother wanted. "Your father and I were thinking about going on a camping trip for the whole family and we just wanted to know if you would like go camping this weekend." The idea of it wasn't all that great to me in the first place, but after all I've never really gone camping except when my little sister and I set up a tent in the backyard and slept in it for a night. "Yes, that sounds like a great idea. The family can spend time and bond." I said. "Ok then we'll just talk to your sister and see what she thinks about the trip." After that I just went back up to my room.

          I sat in my room thinking about where we could go camping at. There's the lake, beach, forest, and national parks. I honestly would think it would have been cool to go camping on the beach and have a campfire to sit around and tell stories to each other. I sat in my bed that night unable to sleep from the excitment of knowing we were going camping in the morning. I looked over at my clock that read 1:42am "Oh my!" I got up and got into my pajamas to laid down to go to bed. The next morning I woke up to my sister yelling at me to get up. Appearntly I had slept in a little to late, it was 9:33am and my mom and dad had talked to my sister about the camping trip this morning and judging by the tone in her voice she seemed to love to sound of camping. I got up out of bed and got dressed when my dad knocked on my door. "Sweetie, pack up five sets of clothing we will be leaving at 11 to go camping." 

          After I had finished packing my clothes, I walked to the kitchen and made myself some coffee and a bowl of cereal. It was almost time to leave so I ate as fast as I could and grabbed my bag and put it in the the car. "Are you ready to leave Jocelyn?" My mother asked "Yes, I've got all I need in the car" I said. I got into the car where my sister was sitting listening to music. As for me I brought a nice book to read. My sister looked over and as she pulled her earbuds out she asked, "What are you reading?" "I'm just reading a book Marissa. You wouldn't like it. I know you don't like reading." I said "Ok, what's your book about?" she asked. "I don't know yet, I just opened the book two minutes ago." I told her. She just looked at me for a minute then put her earbuds back in her ears. 

          "Where are we going dad?" I asked. My dad just told me to sit back and enjoy the ride. I wonder why he wouldn't tell where we were going but I didn't let it get to me. I just slouched in the back seat and started to read my book. It was only an hour or two before I had fallen asleep since I was still tired from last night. My mom woke me up when we stopped. I looked at the time and it was almost 5pm. We were at a gas station that seemed to be in the middle of nowhere besides a market that was across the street, dad was outside my window tapping on the car door while watching the gas meter go up till the gas tank was full. I was getting a little hungry and asked my mom if I could have a few dollars to get a bag of chips from the market. She gave me a few dollars and as I crossed the street to, I looked both ways as I was always told as a little girl crossing the street.

          When I got into the market, I noticed it was only me, the store clerk and a boy that was about my age, 16 or so. He looked to be about 6 feet tall, spiked short brown hair and tan. He looked at me as if he had forgotten where he was at when I walked into the market. I just ignored him and looked for something to eat. The boy followed me to the aisle where I was looking for something to eat. He asked "Where are you going that brings you all the way out here away from the city?" I tried to ignore him but he just asked me again. I told him I was just going camping with family. "There's a camping site up ahead about 7 miles up the road. It's a nice place to stay I've been there in past years and I'm actually going to the same place. I could guide you and your family there once I've gathered everything I need." He told me. "I'm not sure where we are going but I'll let my dad know about this area you're talking about." I walked back to the car and asked my dad if we were close to where we were going to be camping. He looked at me and said yes and that there was a place to stop up the road a bit to set up camp.

          I looked back across the street to see the boy get into a car and he looked at me as he got in the car and drove off. We got back on the road and we were right behind the car the boy had gotten into. It was only a few minutes before we had gotten to the camp site. As I got out of the car I saw people everywhere with fires going and little kids running around. I walked around for a while to get a feel for the camp grounds. I found a river nearby and decided I would cross it. But when I crossed the river I couldn't believe my eyes for what I saw. There was what looked like to be an abandoned building that seemed to be a college dorm or office building that was around in the 1800's, or so it seemed I wouldn't know. All I knew was that the building was covered in vines and most of the windows were smashed in and dirty.