Chapter 9: Someone To Love Me

That night Blossom sat there at the oak in her backyard waiting for Brick. When Brick got there Blossom was sitting on the ground.

"Hey, babe," Blossom said cheerfully. But Brick didn't answer her. Instead, he just sat down next to her, pulled his knees to his chest, and stayed quiet. This scared Blossom a little, Brick is usually happy to see her, but tonight he seemed distinct.

"You okay, Brick?" Brick sighed and turned to look Blossom in her eyes.

"No, I'm not, Red." He said anger/sadness in his voice.

"May I ask what's wrong?"

"Well, for starters, would you like to tell me what today was REALLY about?"

"What do you mean?"

"Just like you heard what I said to Ace today, I heard what you said to Buttercup when I was leaving."

"Oh... Brick, listen that's not what I meant--"

"I don't want an explanation, Red I just want the truth. Why did you say it like that? Like being with me was the worst thing ever. You don't have to deal with half of what I have to. Yet you complain." Blossom was stuck She knew he was right but she just didn't want to say it.

"I understand what you're trying to say but I only said that because of Buttercup, Brick."

"At least Buttercup doesn't have Tourettes. You said that yourself."

"But you have to understand--"

"Understand, Red! I completely understand that if you tell your family, all you could get is a cuss out. But me cuss-outs don't exist in my so-called family. You know how Him is. I could lose my life. You said 'Of course not, Buttercup. He's a villain.' Do you still think of me as a villain, Red? 'Cause I haven't done anything in a whole month. My brothers may have but not me." Blossom was on the verge of tears. She knew that what she said hurt Brick, but how could she explain that she didn't mean that.

"Brick, listen I know what I said hurt but you have to believe me when I say that I'm so sorry," Blossom said with hurt in her voice. Brick sighed and rubbed his temples.

"It's not a matter of if you hurt me or not. It's about whether you love me or not. So there's the question, Red. Do you love me?" Blossom was surprised. This was not the answer she was looking for.

"I want to. Not like I can't but like I'm sure not yet. We've only been together for a month and a half. But I believe I'm close because I haven't given up on you yet."

"I didn't expect an answer like that but it made me feel better."

" Well, do you love me, Brick?"

"I do, Red. I do. And I thought I never would love you in my entire life, but I love you, Blossom. With my entire heart." Blossom couldn't take it anymore. Tears started to fall. This was the weirdest she had ever had. She wasn't sure whether she was crying about love or anger. Either way, Brick pulled her into his lap and cuddled her close.

"Red, I just want something normal for once in my life. And this relationship is the only thing that I have." They sat there in silence. Loving and embracing the moment again, for these do not last.

"Babe, it's 2:30."Brick said with a sigh.

"Okay." They got up and flew to Blossom's window. Bubbles was waiting on the other side, smiling and waving.

"Tomorrow, same place?"

"You know it." Brick was about to fly away when Blossom grabbed him and pulled him back to her.