Chapter 2

"Is that's the way you talk to your mother Liam?" Liam shuttered at the sound of his grandmother's voice. Don't get him wrong he loves his grandparents it just that they're a bit too much when it comes to Liam's ancestry.

"No, ma'am." Liam muttered.

"Now, Lucille help me decorate." His mother left with his grandmother while his dad and grandpa turned on the TV and watched the football game.

Liam went upstairs to his room and gently closed the door, hoping that he'll spend the rest of tomorrow in his room.

Liam laid in his on his back looking up at the ceiling and trying to clear his mind. While he was doing that, there was a soft knock on the door.

Liam sat up and said, "Come in.' The door nob twisted open and his grandmother came in and sat down on his bed.

"As you can see tomorrow is a big day for you," Grandma said.

"That I'm turning, fifteen?" Liam asked.

"Besides the point, turning fifteen his a big deal. For people with your gifts." Grandma explained.

"Gifts," Liam said. "What kind of gifts?"

"I told you before, grandson." With that, grandma got up and left Liam sitting on his bed questing what his grandmother just said.

"Liam time for dinner!"

"So Liam your teacher called." Liam dropped his fork in spaghetti. He wanted to get up from the table and run upstairs and lock himself in his room.

"Mind telling us what happened?" Mom asked. Yep this was the time to get up and run.

"I was on time, I swear," Liam said. He closed the door in my face. "Mom I think Mr. McCain hates me."

Mom laughed. "I'm pretty sure he doesn't hate you." Dinner went on as usual. Strange conversations about grandma's and grandpa's flight from Beijing.

"Liam, I went to give your birthday present a day early."  Grandma slipped a rectangled box wrapped in red wrapping paper.

"Can I open it?" Liam asked.

"Go head."

Liam quickly opened the wrapped box and open the white rectangle box and pulled out a sliver necklace with a Chinese symbol pendant on it. Liam automatically knew what that symbol means.

"Huô," Laim said. "Fire."

"That's right."

"Xiéxié, thank you grandma." Liam smiled. Minus the fact that he had no clue why his grandparents gave him this necklace.

After dinner, Liam went to his room and set his necklace down on the table. Liam changed out of his school clothes and into a red T-shirt and sweats. When he crawled into bed and laid his head on his pillow and already fell asleep.

His dream went like this, Liam woke up in a room of people that looks around his age and Older surrounded by a campfire. The fire danced in the light. An image of Liam showed up in a fire and a girl that look the same age as Liam spoke up.

"Uncle, is that the boy," The girl said. "Is he the one? Our savior?" She asked.

"You'll wait and see," The old man said. "All I know is that he's a fire user."

The dream changes and Liam found himself in a messy small room which seems more like a basement. Liam heard a voice that sounded more like a harsh hissing sound.

"We found the boy." The hissing voice said.

"And he'sssss unprotected." Liam got the feeling that the voice was talking about for some reason.

"I ssssince and intruder."

Liam quickly popped up and walk up into a cold sweat. His room was so quite you can her his heart beat pounding out of his chest. Liam felt something cold touching his neck and saw that the necklace that his grandparents gave him last night.

"LIAM!" His mom shouted on the top of her lungs. Liam threw the blankets off him and quickly ran down the stairs with his heart beating faster and louder.

"Mom," Liam said. "Mom where are you?!" Liam quickly searched the house until he found his mom with a thing of fire in her hands.

"They found him," Mom said.
"Daniel take Liam to the school." Mom said in a panicky tone.

"Dad what school?" Liam asked.

"Luc," Dad said.

"JUST GO!" Mom yelled louder than before.

Dad grabbed the car keys off the table near the door and looked at mom.

"Be careful, love you."

"This isn't goodbye," Mom smiled. "Liam, your dad will explain everything."

"Mom,"

"I love you, stay safe."

"Mom," Liam said one more time. In the other room there was a loud crash and Liam jumped.

"Go now!"

Dad grabbed Liam arm and together the left the apartment.

The two quickly rushed towards the parking garage and then stopped once they saw a hooded figure blocking their direction towards Liam's dad's car.

"Liam, run." Dad said.

"What no, I'm leaving you."

"Go now!" Listening to his dad, Liam took off running towards a thing of steps. Which seems like a good idea at the time until, another hooded man was blocking the entrance.

Okay try the elevator. Liam thought. Liam ran towards the elevator and then another hooded figure stood in his path.

"You're not going anywhere, kid." The hooded figure had a raspy voice like someone sliding a rock on glass.

"Grab him!" On the of the hooded figures yelled. Backing up into a corner, Liam paniced and a wall of fire was surrounding Liam, making it his own little space.

"He is a fire user!"

"Don't just stand there, kill the kid." Closing his eyes, Liam felt the ground shake and some screams. When Liam opened his eyes, the hooded men were gone and a girl that looked about his age was standing their with her hands behind her back and rocking back and forth on the balls of her heels.

The girl was small for her age, about '5'2" and she has short black hair, and  dazzling green eyes.

"Who...what...how?" Liam asked.

With that, Liam passed with the last thing on his mind was the mysterious girl that he saw in the parking garage.