Prologue: Encore

The apartment welcomed me home as I breathed in the smell of familiar, if slightly stale air. It was home, and I let the familiarity envelope me like a hug.

My guitar case had started to get heavy two flights of stairs ago, when I'd first got out of the taxi and began the trek up the stairs, when the jetlag had first began to kick in. My big suitcase dropped to the floor with a thud as I set my guitar in the stand where it belonged.

"You know, the dust has settled, don't make a cloud." A voice behind me laughed, and I turned to the melodic sound I'd grown so used to. Lark Weston, twenty-two and still absolutely beautiful. She'd cut her hair, shoulder-length now compared to the waist length it had been when we'd left Blue Ridge the first time four years ago.

We'd been back since then, but the four months since we'd been to see our families for New Year's had definitely left a layer of dust over everything in the apartment.

"Ya know, we don't need to clean this right now?" I stopped Lark as she went to find the old vacuum cleaner. "We could just take a look around at what we've missed?"

"Ya know," Lark mimicked, "Doing this every time we come home is not getting you out of helping me clean the apartment, Brooksy." I snapped my fingers in mock disgust, and she laughed.

I laced my fingers through her's and began to lead her out of the door again. "Let's go see what Blue Ridge has been up to without us."