Chapter Nine

Nine

I stood behind the check-in desk surveying the area and took a deep breath. I couldn't believe it. Somehow I had managed to survive four hours of work. I hadn't maimed anyone. I hadn't even made anyone mad. Even more surprising, I really, really liked it here. Ugh, I knew there was a told-you-so coming from Van, and the sad thing was, I deserved it.

"So...how's it going?" a voice called cheerfully from my side.

Uh oh, here it came. "Great," I said, smiling sheepishly at Van. "It's going great."

Van returned it with a wise smile. "I thought it might be," she told me. "I've been getting nothing but compliments about you."

Yay! I was finally good at something. "Listen, Van, I'm sorry."

She held up a hand to stop me. "Doesn't matter. I'm just happy you finally found your path."

I nodded gratefully. I guess she was bigger than an I-told-you-so. "This place is great. How did you ever end up working here?"

She shrugged. "There's always been an Evans running this place. I guess I was next in line." She looked around the lobby, beaming proudly. "This place is something, isn't it? It has a certain charm you can't find any place else."

"Except for Enchantment Cove," I said, immediately realizing it was true. Both buildings had that same quality to them. They both felt like home.

Van glanced over at me, smiling slightly. "Did you know they were both built by the same people?"

I shook my head but wasn't too surprised. As soon as she said it, I could see the similarities around me. "I guess they both do have the same soul."

"They were built at the time as a haven for lost souls," she said, glancing over at me. "And I guess they still are."

I turned around, straightening the old fashion room keys hanging on the wall behind us. I didn't want her to see the moisture in my eyes. I hadn't even realized how lost I'd been. I don't know what I would have done if Van hadn't found me. I owed her so much for giving me a new beginning.

"So..." she said, changing the subject. "You never said. How was your date last night with Jensen?"

I turned around, frowning slightly. "It wasn't a date," I told her, the words coming out a little too forceful.

"Sure, sure," she said, leaning back against the counter. "How was your "undate" with Jensen last night?"

I sighed. Where did I even start? "It was good. We watched movies. We talked. We ate junk food. It was a perfect evening."

"Is that all that happened?"

I glanced away, feeling my cheeks grow warm. "Well...maybe there was a little bit of cuddling involved."

"I knew it," Van cheered. "You like him."

"I'm not ready for a relationship, Van."

"Doesn't matter if you're ready or not, Max. If you're meant to be with someone, it will happen," she said with a giggle. "I can't wait to tell Danny. That boy is head over heels about you."

"Danny?"

"No, silly. Jensen. He's been smitten ever since he laid eyes on you."

My heart galloped at that statement. Jensen felt it too? Had every cell in his body screamed my name the first time we locked eyes? Or was he just another mindless admirer from a long list of guys who only saw a beautiful face? I wasn't sure I really wanted to know. I didn't feel like having my feelings crushed again so soon.