I tapped my pencil manically against the table, my eyes fixed blindly on the paper below me. The clock on the wall kept time of the minutes as they passed slower than I would have liked them to. That sound mixed with steady rapping of my pencil took my attention completely away from the homework I was supposed to be doing. Not that I was ever one for deep concentration anyways; there was always something else occupying my mind, the task at hand usually taking the back burner unless it was something I actually valued. School was not included in the things I valued, not at this point in my career. School was almost over and graduation was creeping closer. To be honest I couldn't wait to get out, and I meant that in more ways than one. I couldn't wait to be free from that school, those people, this house, this town, this life. Everything was so morose here. There was very little in this town that I held close to me, save for a handful of people and the rest was pure shit.

I didn't mean to sound like every angst-ridden pop-punk song ever written, but this town literally was the worst, along with most things in it. All everyone did was party and that got old really fast. It was one of those small towns where everyone knew everyone, so rumors spread like wildfire and people judged you from the safety of their ivory towers. No one had secrets and no one's business, or sometimes even thoughts, were safe from the cavalry. I had lived here since I was a kid and grew up knowing almost everyone, but everyone changed over time and I grew less and less attached to most of them. I only had three or four people that I actually valued as friends, the rest were just people I passed in the halls and on the street. We were cordial, though. I would nod or force a half-smile if I ran into someone I knew; I wasn't a complete asshole, despite the many protests from my friends.

Graduation was two weeks away but because I was a senior, school technically ended for me after finals finished this week. I wouldn't have to come back until graduation ceremony and I was thankful for that. But first I had finals to get through which was a task in and of its own, especially when my brain would not allow me to focus.

I rubbed my face and tore my eyes away from my homework as Michael plopped down in the seat next to me. He nonchalantly slid a plate of bagel bites onto the table and propped is feet up on the chair next to him.

Michael was my best friend and part of the very small list of people I could tolerate for more than a few minutes, though sometimes he really pushed it. He was tall and bubbly, but not in an in-your-face-annoying way, he just drew people to him I suppose. His hair was blonde and typically an absolute mess with no real shape to it, the ends fried from the copious amounts of bleach that had been taken to it over the years. His eyes were quite a lovely shade of green and his grin was toothy and crooked, but he owned that just like the eyebrow piercing and tight women's jeans he wore.

"Give up already?" He questioned, his mouth full of several bagel bites. His blonde hair stuck up in all directions as he flung his dirty, sock-laden-feet on the table next to him.

I tossed my pencil down and raked my hands through my hair as I let out a quick huff.

"I can't focus; it's just so draining. I mean, who cares about the Pythagorean Theorem anyways? I'll never need this in real life."

Michael shrugged.

"You never know, you might have to calculate the angle of the—"

I chucked my pencil at him, hitting him square in the forehead with the eraser. He screeched like a banshee for an instant before half-choking on one of his bagel bites. He looked at me with shock as I giggled.

"You're violent."

"And you're stupid."

He chuckled.