09 - edana

I've come to a revelation of my own that it's important to do what you love. I, for one, have spent years (a little more over a decade, actually) on things I've been told to do. I've been told to study. To take art classes. To pick up tai chi. To learn how to play the piano. The list goes on. As the years pass, it has been made clear that the list has very much shortened. The only thing left on the list is to stick with the books. Stick with the books, they say, it gives you a great future. Oh, and while you're at it, read the newspapers so you'll gain more knowledge. You'll never know when you'll have to fight someone and emerge winning by having more knowledge.

I wake up every day, attend school to have my mind stuffed with facts and numbers, return home to bury my head in textbooks, and go to bed with my mind swirling and churning with knowledge. It's not something I resist. I do it every day. It's almost a senseless thing, a cycle that just keeps repeating itself. And it doesn't seem to be very outrageous, until one day I realise - I'm getting bored. I'm getting tired of this.

So I pick up a pencil and write in a notebook that's not meant for school purposes. I write and write till it's midnight and it's time for bed. Then I slip under my covers with my heart happy and full of love. It's a wonderful feeling, almost magical. I don't want it to ever go away.

It's magical to do what you love. It really is. Doing what you love makes you happy. It makes you feel. It opens your heart, your mind to things you won't care so much about while you're hungrily eating up the words that are on the textbooks. I think that's quite beautiful. Doing what you love - it can bring you to places you've never been before, be it in real life or in your head. It can introduce you to people you've never met and possibly never will. There are so many wonderful things that come with doing what you love.

It truly is so very much important to do what you love. So I'm asking you, right this very moment, to go and do what you love to do. Go on and draw. Go on and bake. Go on and write. Go on and play your favourite musical instrument. Go on and play your favourite sport. You may not be the best at it, but if you love to do it, it must make you happy. And you deserve to be happy. Don't let others stop you from doing what you love. Doodle on your self-written notes if you want to. Bake a dozen cakes if you feel like it. Play your cello when you want to enjoy making music. Get on the court with your badminton racquet when you want to sweat it out. It's alright to do all that. Do what makes you happy. Do what you love to do.

Never, ever let anything snuff out the love you have for something that makes you happy. Do what you love to do.

◇ ' ~ ◇ ' ~ ◇ ' ~ ◇

29 january 2017 ;
2329 hrs

written to the mood of tori kelly's cover of hallelujah by leonard cohen

07 february 2017 ;
0705 hrs

echosmith - bright