The Cosmos

For Stormwolfwriters  book club

There were skies. Before that there were planets. Before that there were stars. Before that there were galaxies. Before that, there were the cosmos. Every time I looked up at the night sky, I saw the stars looking happily down on me. I looked to my right and saw Sammy looking up at the stars as well. The glow,of the stars complimented his blue eyes which shined in the dark shadow of the night. I smiled grabbing his hand.

"How are the stars? Are they speaking to you?" I asked him.

He waited a while before he spoke. "The stars said goodnight, I said goodnight, and the moon...." He frowned and looked into my eyes with fear. "The moon said goodbye."

I felt a stutter run down my spine. The moon was waning ever so slowly I've noticed, and I wondered if the cosmos had anything to do with it. I turned to him as I ran my fingers through his wavy, blonde hair.

"We will survive without the moon for a little while ok bud?" I reassured him as I pulled him closer to me for me to wrap my arms around his warm body. He gave a little gasp of surprise for I wasn't a person to give such affection, but he then returned the gesture with a smile appearing on his lips.

"You give out nice hugs," he murmured burying his face in my hair and inhaling the scent of it. The feeling of the air coming out of his nose was strangely comforting to me.

"Sammy..." I whispered slowly closing my eyes to dream. I could tell he was sleep next to me because his chest was rising and falling ever so slightly and he was snoring the pig. I fell into a deep sleep and had a vision.

I was amongst the stars and the galaxies. The galaxies were beautiful. It was like looking at swirls of pink, orange, white, green, purple, and all of kinds colors swirled together. Some looked like swirls while other looked like ovals and others looked like blobs of nothing. Then the stars started to scream at me.

"Help! The moon says goodbye! We need the moon! Help! The moon says goodbye!" They shouted in their shrill little voice. It went dark.