Waking Up

The crash of the waves on the beach was what first awoke me, the howling of the wind blowing my dress all around me and giving me goose bumps. I slowly turned my head to the side, feeling the rough grains of sand on my cheek; I inhaled the salty sea air, and gradually sat up. My muscles felt stiff as if I haven’t used them in a while. Standing up and brushing off the light blue dress I had on I lifted my head to look at the ocean. The salt and the wind stung my eyes and the water was churning dangerously.  Where am I? How did I get here? What happened to me?

*****************

            The blue and red flashing lights of the police cars burned my eyes while I was sitting in the back of the ambulance, the police chatter through the radios filled my ears.  A large shape finally burst through the crowd of onlookers, as he got closer I could identify his features better. He had short black hair that showed signs of greying, bright green eyes and a small grey mustache, upon further inspection I saw that he also has the potbelly which revealed that he had, had one donut too many.

“Hi, I’m Officer John Shedden, you must be Jaelyn.” Potbelly said.

“Yeah…” I trailed off

“Okay Jaelyn, I have a few questions for you,” he said, “how did you end up on the beach?”

“I don’t know.” I answered honestly

“Okay…was there someone with you before you passed out?” He asked again

“I don’t know.” I answered again

“Where were you before you went or were taken to the beach?” He inquired

“For the last time, I. Don’t. Know.” I said in a slow tone as if I was talking to a five-year-old.

“Jaelyn, we need some answer-“he began,

“If I had answers don’t you think I’d give them to you,” I questioned him; “I don’t remember anything before waking up on the beach.”

“Okay Jaelyn, thank you for all your help.” He said in a slightly disappointed voice.

All of a sudden I hear screaming, I turned my head towards the source of the sound, it was a woman, she looked extremely familiar.

“LET ME SEE HER! SHE’S MY DAUGHTER!” I heard her yell. Of course, how could I have forgotten my own mother. I stood up slowly and walked towards the argument between her and a police officer.

“Mom?” I asked carefully, I watched as her head snapped in my direction, she slowly took in my disheveled appearance.

“Jae,” she cooed softly before she ran at me throwing her arms around my body. “Oh baby I missed you so much and I was so worried about you!” she said  

“It’s okay mom, I’m fine. I just can’t remember what happened to me, the doctor said my memory should return in a while but It will take some time.” I informed her

“It’s alright, let’s go home.” She said, as she placed a protective arm around my shoulders and steered me towards her car.

The drive to our house took only 10 minutes, as we approached the well cared for lawn outside the house; she looked at me with a worried expression on her face. I got out of the car and walked to the front door, twisting it with ease. The house was extremely commodious, and clean, the walls were white and the furniture was black, the perfect contrast. I walked up the long circular staircase to my room. My room was the last one on the right, it was the opposite of the rest of the house, the walls were bright blue, my furniture was a mix of black and bright pink and the largest difference, my room was messy. There were clothes, and papers everywhere, I really needed to clean up soon. I strode to the bathroom and started the shower, while reaching for the towel, I caught sight of my reflection, dark brown hair that comes to just below my shoulders in waves, green eyes that were slightly red and puffy, and a small cut, just above my right eye. After my shower, I threw on a pair of comfortable sweatpants, and a large baggy t-shirt, I ran downstairs, and straight into the kitchen where the sound of sizzling was coming out from. I walked in and abruptly stopped when I saw six pairs of eyes staring straight at me.  My mother was cooking, and there were three boys and two girls sitting at the table, over a quick inspection I saw that one of the girls was blonde with dark brown eyes, and the other was more tanned with straight black hair and bright blue eyes, one of the boys on the other hand had dirty blonde hair and deep blue eyes, the other two had long brown hair that kept getting in their eyes which were dark brown as well, it was easy to tell that they were twins.

“Jae…” the blonde boy said as he slowly stood up, “I’m Colton, one of your best friends, remember?” he said in a sort of pleading voice. I remember know, my best friends, they are always there for me, they are always on my team, they are my family.

“I remember…” I said with a small smile, “Your Colton, the twins are Brax and Jax, the brown eyed girl is Darcy, and the blue eyed girl is Cleo.” As I said this, their faces all lit up with smiles.

“Come here baby girl I’ve missed you.” Said Colton as he approached me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

“I’ve missed you too, all of you” I replied as I returned his hug.

“Well, know that that’s settled, dinner is ready!” my mother said with a smile on her face.

                                    ***************************

“Jaelyn, Jae wake up.” I heard a deep voice say

“No. Go Away.” I said rolling over, I needed my sleep, I don’t like mornings.

“No, wake up Jae. You don’t want me to pour water on your head do you?” the voice asked again. I did not answer; I thought I was free from the voice until…

“AAAHHHHH!!! YOU ASSHOLE! YOU POURED ICE WATER ON MY HEAD!” I screamed at a laughing Colton.

“I told you I would do it if you didn’t wake up!” he defended himself.

“Whatever” I said as I got up and stalked out of the room. After drying off and changing, I grabbed a piece of toast and ran to the car where Colton was waiting for me.

“You ready for school girl?” he asked me as we pulled into the school parking lot

“Yeah!” I lied, “I’m so excited!” Sadly he saw right through my façade

“Jaelyn I know your lying to me” he said

“Okay, I am a bit nervous,” I mumbled.

“Its okay you got all of us behind you.” He replied with a smile, "After all what are best friends for."