Chapter Two: Along came Abby

There were whispers in the hall when I got to school this morning.

"What's going on?" I asked Rosy, a girl that I sat with in English. I wouldn't exactly say we were great friends but we talked now and then.

Rosy scoffed, "Apparently there's a new girl in our year level. All the guys are on her like a moth to a flame."

"How come?" I asked curiously.

"Because she's 'super hot' or whatever. And I hear she was like the most popular girl at her old school."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Just wait till Hunter uses his charm on her."

Before I could respond again, Hunter and his friend Dylan walked by us. Rosy's eyes were immediately drawn to Hunter. I listened in to Hunter and Dylan's conversation much less obviously than Rosy.

"Did you hear about the new chick?" asked Dylan.

"Yeah, she's hot right?" Hunter asked back.

I rolled my eyes to myself at Hunter's question. Of course that would be all he cared about.

"Super hot," replied Dylan. "Ten out of ten for sure. And she was really popular at her old school."

"What school did she come from again?" asked Hunter.

Just as Dylan opened his mouth to speak, another of Hunter's friends jogged up to him and nudged him. "There she is," he said pointing to the back of a girl who had just emerged out of a crowd of populars.

All three of them looked simultaneously in the new girl's direction.

"What's her name?" asked Hunter.

"Pretty sure it starts with A," replied Dylan.

The principal emerged out of a nearby classroom and turned to face the new girl, "Abby Hart?" she called out to her.

"Wait... Abby?" Hunter mumbled to himself.

On hearing her name being called out, Abby stopped her conversation with the head chearleader of Jadeland High and turned to face the school's principal. "That's me," she replied in a tone that seemed both sweet yet confident at the same time.

I turned to see Hunter's reaction, no doubt one of infactuation and excitement on gaining a new 'project' to work his magic on, but instead, I was met by a look I had never witnessed by Hunter, ever.

His normal smirk that he would have composed by now was replaced with a closed mouth, slightly wide eyed look of... Shock? Embarrassment? Fear? I had no idea.

I frowned to myself turning my attention back to Abby who was now chatting happily with the school's principal. I wouldn't use the term 'hot' but she was definitely good looking. Her wavy blonde hair cascaded down her back, stopping just above her waist. Her eyes had a sense of innocence about them and almost beamed with a bright blue, complimenting her flared cerulean blue short shorts. She was soft spoken yet her aura still projected a sense of dominance, and her smile looked as if it could make anyone feel completely revered or completely insecure. Either way, I wasn't keen to find out. And from what it seemed, Hunter wasn't either.

I got to science class and sat in our usual seat. The teacher marked off our names and each pair of students began working on their projects together. Hunter was late again. Like usual. He strolled into the classroom but not like his normal self. His head was down, his eyes tracing the floor. His hands were in his pockets. His smirk which acknowledged his friends every morning had vanished and he was only three minutes late. Not ten.