An Ugly Romance

Please note that I deliberately did not use quotation marks for my dialogue. I ask that you do not include this as an error if you are critiquing this piece. Enjoy!

____________________________________________________________

An Ugly Romance – A Poetic Short Story

Hunger.

He’d had his eyes on her for weeks now, waiting for the right time. She was so beautiful, so sweet. He had to have her. He would stop at nothing.

She was walking alone, and it was perfect. She couldn’t escape if she tried.

His gang assembled behind him, and they were prepared. When she neared the alley, they struck. She was taken by surprise.

Fear.

Don’t scream, he told her. Don’t scream or I’ll hurt you.

But she screamed.

Don’t scream, he told her again, more fiercely this time.

Her eyes were panicked, yet somehow also full of hatred. He didn’t like that. He didn’t like that look of hatred.

Again, she screamed. Deliberately this time.

He was getting angry now. She was making him angry.

Let go of me, she spat, fighting the angry clutch of the gang of men.

He did not let go. If you scream one more time, he told her, I will hurt you. Don’t think I won’t do it. I’ll do it, so don’t scream. Don’t fight. I’ll hurt you, I swear.

You’re already hurting me, she said hatefully. Go ahead, she taunted him, go ahead and hit me.

Rage.

She was making him angry. He couldn’t help it. In his anger, he did it. He hit her. He didn’t want to, but he had to. He couldn’t help it.

She doubled over and whimpered in pain. He felt regret, but still he did not let go of her. He had to have her.

You’re a monster. I hate you. Let me go. Let me go, she said.

Hurt.

She was making him angrier, but he held himself back. He did not want to hurt his beautiful girl.

You’re coming with me, he said forcefully, dragging her up to a standing position.

She refused.

He did not care.

He ordered his men to take her, so they took her to the car. She screamed and thrashed and cried, but no one was around to hear her.

He sat beside her in the back seat. She was still screaming for help. He yelled at her to stop, but she wouldn’t. She still screamed. She still fought.

He couldn’t help it. He was angry, so he slapped her. He slapped her in the face, hard. He didn’t mean to. Sometimes he couldn’t control his strength.

She stopped screaming. Instead she cried.

Remorse.

I told you to stop screaming, he told her desperately. I told you to stop, but you didn’t stop. I’m sorry. Please don’t cry.

She looked up at him through her tears in shock. She repeated his words. You’re sorry? Is that what you said?

Yes, he told her, I’m sorry. I’m sorry, so please don’t cry. If you don’t scream and kick anymore, I won’t hurt you, I promise. Please don’t cry.