Discipline: An Essay

Discipline is difficult and annoying, but mostly it is training. Do we know the meaning of discipline? What exactly is the value of discipline? What is the best way to accept discipline? Discipline requires training, preparing, and accepting advice in obedience.

First, do we know the meaning of discipline? The meaning of discipline is being trained and corrected to the right path. The Bible teaches in Proverbs22:6,"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." In this verse, training children have valued not merely punishment. 2Timothy 3:16 says, "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness." Discipline is for correction. Proverbs 3:5-6 states, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." When we trust in God he will guide us through the good and the bad. The meaning of discipline is being trained and corrected to the right path.

Second, what exactly is the value of discipline? The value of discipline is preparing us for the future. Hebrews 12:11 states, "For the moment, all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." We don't like discipline. Discipline is preparing us for a future of peaceful righteousness.  That future might include things like college or school, a good job, apartment, phone service, utilities, food, spouse, kids, neighbors -- a peaceful life. Last, righteousness is obeying God's word, His instructions. Discipline prepares us to enjoy a future of peaceful righteousness.

Finally, how do we accept discipline? Proverbs 19:20: "Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end, you will be counted among the wise." We are to listen to our elders for information and are to take advice. Don't fight it, because older people have had a lot of experience younger people lack, just because they've lived longer and made the mistakes. Being wise personally benefits me by helping me make good choices, instead of choices that hurt me and others. The easiest way to accept discipline is by accepting advice.

Discipline is difficult and annoying, but mostly it is training. We accept discipline by accepting our parent's advice and obeying our parents. The value of discipline is to prepare us for the future of peaceful righteousness. The meaning of discipline is to be trained and corrected to the right path. Discipline is training, preparing, and accepting advice in obedience.