Chapter One

I sit still, willing myself to fall back into unconscious darkness, nothingness.

I wait, whimpering into the vast emptiness around me, my wounded echo reaching my ears once again, summoning tears from my already moistened eyes.

I couldn't stop the downpour even if I had wanted to. Tears cascaded down my porcelain face like a Colombian waterfall, making me gasp and choke on my unwanted sobs. I clutched at my chest, trying to somehow stop the pain currently smothering my heart. The pain 'he' caused me, the pain I caused myself.

Memories may last a lifetime, but so do mistakes. Mistakes and regret last a lifetime as well. But during that lifetime you live with unbidden regret, you're slowly dying. Rotting from the inside. Necrosis feeding upon every organ in your body until your insides are but dust in a grave.

***

I grabbed the keys off the hall table and slowly made my way to the door, hating the fact that I was awake at such an ungodly hour. Seven am is not exactly a normal time for me to be on my feet and functioning. Well, technically, I wasn't even functioning. I was half assing everything thus far. My naturally wavy hair was thrown up into a pretty sloppy looking ponytail, my makeup routine was avoided as I didn't really fancy looking at myself in the mirror, and my clothes -well my clothes at least were the only presentable pieces I had on me. I couldn't see this job interview going too well in my mind.

Slamming my Audi's door a little harder than necessary, I stormed up to the imposing looking building. The sign atop the building informed me that I had arrived at the correct destination.

'Fairchild & Broker'

I smiled lightly before gathering my files and tucking them under my arm.