Chapter 7 - A.W.K.W.A.R.D

Liam turned around to face the door. He must have heard me loudly swinging the door open. "Mum! I told you to...". He went quiet when I realised I was standing next to the door. "Oh, uh hey Cassandra, did you uhh.. see that?" he said in a quiet voice. I cleared my throat uncomfortably, "uhh, yeah". The girl turned around to face me. "Hello" she said coldly. I realised it was the oldest daughter of the mayor of Gwela. "Hello" I replied in cold precision, but it didn't feel quite right. "What are you doing here?" she asked rudely. Liam went to stop her and tell her off for being rude. "It's alright Liam, I'm no longer the queen, she doesn't have to be nice to me" I said putting a hand on his shoulder. The girl and Liam looked at my hand until I moved it. "I'm here to visit" I said truthfully. "Why did you have to come here first? couldn't you have taken a shower?", the girl pinched the bridge of her nose. "My limo washed away in a flood, my driver deserted me and I got kidnapped by a whole lot of bandits" I said, trying to keep my patience. "That sounds terrible" said Liam, looking at the floor, "I'm sorry Terry did that to you". The girl stared at Liam. "Terry is a very good friend of mine" she said pointedly. "That explains a lot" I mumbled to myself. "Excuse me?" the girl asked. Liam cleared his throat noisily, causing everyone to stare at the ground. Nobody wanted to look at each other. "Why don't you have a shower, Cassandra? you can sleep in the room that you shared with Clarissa last time" Liam said pointing down the hall. "Yes, why don't you do that, who ever you are" said the girl sticking her chin up and making clicking sounds. "I'm lady Cassandra, previous queen to the throne, who are you?" I said angrily, "I bet you don't even hold a title!". "No silly, I meant to Liam, I know who you are" said the girl, putting a protective arm around Liam, "I'm Liam's fiancee". 

I had a quick shower and washed my hair with some expensive looking honey shampoo. Since I hadn't seen it before, I assumed it belonged to Liam's fiancee and I intentionally used it to annoy her. I could just imagine her complaining to Liam, "honey boo, that annoying girl used some of my shampoo!". I picked up the whole bottle and tipped in down the drain, just because it made me feel better. Then I tossed some of the beige coloured towels lying in neat piles, into the rubbish chute. "Carol doesn't even like beige!" I convinced myself. I remember her showing me a beige dress her sister had gotten her. "It's pretty, but it's also beige, and I hate that colour!" she had happily given it to charity. I realised that I hadn't brought any clothes with me from New York. I looked at my old ruined clothes and decided I would have to find something else to wear. I rummaged through the bathroom cabinet and couldn't find anything practical. There were flowery summer tops and miniskirts only. I sighed and pulled out the longest mini skirt and plainest summer top with flowy sleeves I could find. They were too big, but so were most clothes I borrowed from other women. I left my hair loose around my shoulders, since I didn't anything to tie them up with or anything to comb them with. I left the clothes I had dug out on the floor. Liam's perfect fiancee could pick them up. The door slammed angrily behind me, reflecting my current mood. I walked up to the door that led to the living room and heard things being thrown. I realised, if I just stood here, I could hear the whole conversation, like I had used it to eavesdrop last time. "You said she wouldn't come back!" said a scratchy female voice. A.k.a Liam's fiancee. "Babe, I told you yesterday that she was going to come visit, you even got your friend to go pick her up, I thought we were over this" said a deep, calm, voice which probably belonged to Liam. "I didn't think she was staying here! I thought she just came to be polite not live here!" screeched Liam's fiancee. I heard a loud crashing sound near the kitchen and then a groan. "Sweetie pie, that was my grandmother's antique vase" said Liam. Sweetie pie? babe? I had never heard Liam use these types of words, ever. "You're avoiding the topic!" screeched Liam's fiancee. "Ok fine" admitted Liam, "I didn't think she was going to stay either, but we have to civil to all of our guests". I felt my heart wrench in my gut. I wasn't wanted here. A hand tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around, surprised. "You aren't going to stand here forever are you? I need to do some cooking for lunch" said Carol in a loud voice. I clamped a hand over her mouth, just as the sitting room went silent, then I gave her a quick hug. "What are you doing here?" I asked. "What do you think I'm doing? this is my house, even though miss loudmouth is here, so am I" said Carol with a smirk. "So you don't like her?" I said hopefully. "Oh no, I like her well enough, but I know someone who doesn't" said Carol, pushing past me to open the door.