Two: Safe Place

It had been a few days since the announcement of my engagement and the people of New York were practically losing their minds. Well, the socialite ones. The opinions were polar opposites. Some were congratulating us and saying it was a good pairing. While others were saying that he could do better or that I could do better. It was all very real now.

I was marrying a man I didn't love in eight months. 

"Phoebe! Come down here! There's someone I'd like for you to meet." Mother called from downstairs. I groaned and let myself fall back on my bed dramatically. My German Shepherd, Henry, sat up and looked at me quizzically. 

"It's probably the wedding planner." I muttered, looking at Henry. He whined in response, trotting over to me. He nudged my leg and I huffed, sitting up. "Why are you so excited to meet him?" I grumbled and he took one last look at me before walking down the stairs. 

I heard a loud thud and a man's deep laugh. I froze and my eyes widened. I then heard Mother's annoyed sigh and I could feel the scream coming. In three... two... one.

"Phoebe Rosanne, come get a hold of your mutt!" Mother screamed. I laughed, knowing Henry always had my back. Maybe that's why he was so excited. I jogged down the stairs, my brown eyes focusing on Henry. He must've tackled the wedding planner and was now licking all over his face. The man was laughing but Mother didn't look to happy. 

"Henry!" I whistled and Henry shot up, trotting over to me and sitting down at my feet. He let out a soft huff, annoyed that I had ruined his fun. I snickered. Mother helped the man stand and he brushed off his tux. That's when I finally saw his face. 

And wow, he was the most beautiful man I'd ever seen. 

"Phoebe, this is Dante. He's your new bodyguard." Mother said. 

That's when the record scratched. 

"Hold up, what?" I asked with a soft laugh. "You're joking, right?" 

"Not at all. He's going to accompany you anywhere you go, no arguments." Mother said to me before beginning to walk away. I scoffed. I stepped forward, beginning to follow Mother. 

"This is so unfair! There are places I like to go to be alone and he's gonna ruin all of that!" I retorted and Mother whipped around quickly, her snake-like eyes meeting mine. I clenched my jaw and glared up at her. 

"Well, now you'll have company. Deal with it." Mother said harshly before marching away. I watched her walk away, anger making my blood boil. I let out a frustrated scream and turned on my heel. Dante was looking at me, studying me. I narrowed my eyes. 

"What are you looking at?" I barked and began to stomp up the stairs. 

"A immature brat, is what I'm looking at." Dante scoffed and I froze in place. I slowly turned to face him and my brown eyes shimmered with anger. I stomped forward, now face to face with Dante. Sure, he was the most handsome man I'd ever seen but he was a prick. 

"I didn't ask for a babysitter. So excuse me if I'm a little bit pissed off that all of my personal freedom is gone." I snarled, my lip curling. Dante's green eyes never left my gaze as he continued to study me. I groaned in frustration and made my way back up the stairs. "My room is off limits, now and forever! Oh, and we're going to the book store later. I have a few things I want to grab." I told him as I turned back around to face him. He had his arms behind him, standing proper as his alluring eyes watched me. 

"As you wish." He said. I inhaled, frowning. He had quoted one of my favorite movies and it only made me glare at him. A snicker played on his lips and I groaned, climbing back up the stairs. I really wasn't in the mood to deal with a sarcastic asshole. Henry followed at my heels and trotted inside my room before I got to the door frame. Henry climbed onto my bed and laid his head on his paws. His dark eyes looked up to meet mine and I gave him a soft smile. I climbed into bed with him after shutting my bedroom door. I snuggled into his warm body, exhaling slowly as I let myself cry.