four || people and flashbacks

A tall, broad-shouldered, blue-eyed man walked pass the street outside the grim reaper's immaculate tearoom. It was shrouded by a magical veil, invisible to mortal eyes. He stopped briefly and stared at the grim reaper who was polishing a tiny oriental bowl. The grim reaper, sensing his presence, looked up and glanced at him.

'Goblin!?' exclaimed the grim reaper in disbelief.

'Grim Reaper!?' exclaimed the blue-eyed man at the same time.

The grim reaper grabbed a black hat, placed it on his head, and pulled it low to shield his face.

'You're wearing a terribly vulgar hat, reaper.'

The grim reaper gave a scowl and glared balefully at him. The goblin gave a small laugh and continued his walk down the street.

*******
The goblin grunted as he carried a heavy luggage bag into a large, airy house. An elderly man wearing a crisp grey suit stood waiting inside the house, holding a young boy's hand.

The elderly man smiled and bowed deeply upon seeing the goblin. 'Milord. It is good to see you for the first time in twenty years.'

The goblin smiled, displaying a row of pearly white teeth. 'Yes, Chairman Smith, it certainly has been a long time.' Then he knelt in front of the young boy. 'Ah, and who is this?'

Chairman Smith beamed with pride. 'This is my grandson, sir.' Then he nudged his grandson. 'Introduce yourself to this handsome gentleman here.'

The young boy bowed stiffly. 'My name is Caleb Smith, aged six, heir to my grandfather's company. And who are you?' he asked, crossing his arms and eyed the blue-eyed man in front of him suspiciously.

'Mind your manners, Caleb!' barked Chairman Smith. 'For goodness sake, treat this gentleman with respect!'

The goblin smiled. 'It's okay, Chairman Smith.'

'Oh, nono! Forgive me, sir! I spoil him too much! He's got an attitude but I'm sure he will change, sir!'

'Grandfather, why are you calling him sir?' Caleb asked, puzzled. 'You're clearly older than-' he looked at the goblin and blinked. '-um, who are you, sir?'

'You can call me Kyle.' the goblin chucked.

'Sir Kyle, you mean.' Chairman Smith interrupted.

Kyle a.k.a Goblin waved his hand. 'Nono, just Kyle will do.' Then he looked at Caleb. 'And the answer to your question is this; I will be your uncle, brother, son, and grandson.'

Caleb blinked in confusion. ' I-I don't understand, sir- um, Master Kyle- um Kyle.'

'You'll understand when you're much older.'

Caleb nodded, somewhat dumbfounded.

Suddenly, Kyle was struck with a look of recognition. 'You know, Caleb, you really do look like an ancestor of yours.'

'Was he good looking?' Caleb asked innocently.

'Oh, dear me!' exclaimed Chairman Smith. 'Do not ask unless you have been asked, Caleb!' He shook his head sadly, clearly upset with Caleb's behaviour.

Caleb pouted. 'Sorry, grandfather.'

Suddenly, Kyle had a flashback- to that time, that fateful day, many, many years ago, where he lay on the field, wounded and betrayed. He stared up at the bright cloudless sky that slowly dimmed as night came, with his sword embedded in his chest and waited for his end. The soil beneath him soaked with his blood. He could hear faint cries coming from a distance, cries of people mourning his death. He wanted to move so badly, to get up and to tell them that he was alright and that everybody has to leave the world one day, no matter what.