Ch. 2

At that exact same moment, Britt Thomas, Marisol Lyons, Dana Tate, Cassie Santos, and Scarlett Drake were all huddled around a Orsino’s, the town’s best Italian restaurant. Well, not really town. Wildgate county was made up of four really tiny towns, St. Jermaine, Tuscan Grove, Wycliffe, and Ashwick, and the populations were so small, everyone just kind of combined them. St. Jermaine was oldest part of town, with large farm houses and cute small town USA feel, Tuscan Grove was where all the new houses were built, the glassy ones with the modern, sleek exteriors, Wycliffe was the smallest population but it was most of the area surrounding Wildgate Lake, and then Ashwick was where the interstate highway was so anyone from there had ‘street’ cred. Because all of these people were obviously so inner city. Anyway, the girls were all leaned over the musky bare birch wood tables, and if anyone were to look at the five girls now, they’re personalities would be quite obvious. Cassie was leading the gossip, as she was usually the one who learned it first from her infinite number of online sources. She was clutching her drink, a pink Shirley Temple, as she gabbed eagerly about the latest drama. Next to her was Britt, listening slightly and perking up when the name of someone she knew came into conversation. She was playing with her glass of Coke, twirling the straw around in the cubes of ice. Across from Britt, in the center as she liked it, was Marisol who was leaning into the table and hanging on Cassie’s every word. Her drink was a water, because everything else on the menu was not on the lean, mean, fighting machine diet that she found in Cosmo. Next to her at the head of the table was a bored looking Scarlett who feigned attention for her friends sake, trailing her finger around the edge of her glass of iced tea. Last but not least, on Marisol’s left was Dana, who was not so subtly checking out the new waiter, sipping her cherry Coke from the can and trying to look seductive. This was how the girls behaved now, most of the time now that everyone would be looking. According to Marisol, they were almost there. A few months ago, people had started taking interest in the five girls. Not that they had been invisible before, Britt was a pretty popular soccer goalie, Cassie was pretty much knew everyone and was the leader of the school spirit comity, Dana could be found on the arms of anyone from a stoner, to a jock, to an older class men, Marisol was, well, she liked to make herself known, and Scarlett had the older, perfect senior brother who was the golden boy of Wildgate. People had just seemed to notice that they were a perfect combination of friends, and now have been invited to the parties, and almost a total 'it girl' status. Almost. “Ok, so Jake Muller and Katy Welles, you know that sophomore girl with a thing for younger guys, anyway, they were totally caught making out at this party over the weekend.” Cassie listed out, “Wait, I thought Jake was dating Bianca?” Dana questioned, but Cassie shook her head, “Not anymore, Bianca broke it off at the same party. Someone snapped a pic of them hooking up in the pool house.” “No they didn’t!” Marisol gasped, “Wait, Scarlett, don’t you sit behind Katy in history?” Scarlett shrugged and took a sip of her drink, “Yeah, so?” “Well, Ms. Space Case, did she say anything about Jake?” “No, I mean why would she say anything to me?” “Because you’re part of our group.” Marisol stated obviously, but her blonde friend just shrugged, “Well, she didn’t.” “Ok, what is with you today? You’re like totally blank lately.” Dana rolled her eyes, “Of course she is, she’s probably got some big going on in ballet? Or is it gymnastics?” Marisol tuned them out when those words were mentioned. It wasn’t like Scarlett needed anymore attention, but then, like magic, “Oh, Marisol, I forgot to tell you, Marco is looking for dancer to fill in Melissa’s place on the silver level summer sessions.” Marisol hid her excitement, “Oh? And why would I care?” “Because I thought you would want to try out. I mean, if you’re not, I can tell him-” “To give me a number for auditions. Dana, you have to come with me!” Dana looked at her in surprise, “What? Why me?” “Because you are the only one whose going to be here this summer, everyone else in abandoning me. Britt is going to soccer, lacrosse, whatever camp, Cassie’s going back to the Philippines, and then Scarlett is off dancing in New York. You are the only one left, besides I need you.” Dana scoffed, “Thanks, but no thanks. I’m going to the Caribbean and Florida remember?” “That’s two weeks, come on, you’ve got to!” “Ballet, pink tights and ribbons, I don’t think so.” “The instructors hot.” Marisol baited and Scarlett almost spit iced tea everywhere, “Marco! He’s old!” “23 is not old, and Dana, he has an accent.” Dana looked intrigued, “What kind of accent?” “I don’t know! The sexy kind now, will you try out with me?” Dana took a breath, “Fine, I’ll try out. When is it?” “This weekend, I’m assisting before I leave.” Scarlett commented and then pointed to their waiter, “I think we’re ordering.”