Ch. 2 Freedom

The witch took the child to the next kingdom over. It had been abandoned for less than a century due to the witches magic. As the years passed, the witch did everything to care for the child.

She had named the girl Felicity, which meant happiness. As Felicity grew older, her hair grew longer. The witch and the girl stayed in the castle. The witch had Felicity's room in the tallest tower. Felicity loved it because the view was beautiful from up there.

17 years had gone by and Felicity had wished to go beyond the walls surrounding the castle, but the witch had forbidden it. 

"Felicity, I was out there before and I found that almost everyone is the same. Some people are greedy, selfish and lustful." 

"Their are few who are kind and generous, but only a few" Felicity did not want to upset her so she simply said 

"alright, grandmother" with a disappointed expression.

In the spring, Felicity would often be found in the music room playing her harp. In summer, she would constantly be outside playing with the animals or picking apples and oranges down by the creek. In the fall she would practice her painting and piano and in winter Felicity would spend most of her time in the kitchen working on new pastry recipes. Sometimes she will sing and dance in the garden and any flowers that were wilting or doing poorly would become fresh again and be even more beautiful than before.

One day Felicity had had enough. She was tired of looking at the same old things and walls every day. The witch would travel to sell and trade things to get money. Sometimes she would be gone for weeks at a time. Felicity had decided that the next time the witch went out, she would escape from the palace walls and go to the next kingdom over. Felicity had remembered that their was an opening in the wall where the creek would flow out. The opening was big enough to fit a person through it.

Felicity had been preparing for days. She disguised what she was doing as her normal day activities to make sure the witch didn't suspect anything. A week had gone by and the witch was going to a place two kingdoms over to the west. Luckily Felicity was going to the east.

As son as the witch left, the last thing Felicity needed to pack was food. The witch had a secret room to use spells and potions. On one side of the room their was a wand cabinet. She took one of the wands for defense. She had also packed a map, blankets, parchment, scissors, a small harp, and her baby blanket. To remind her that somewhere she has family. Before she left, she took the scissors and cut her long beautiful hair, so that she wouldn't be dragging it around. Her hair, which was once 5 feet behind her, was now down to her waist. She then tied it back in a braid. When she new she had everything, it was time to leave... forever.

She said goodbye to her animal friends. When she tried to go through the opening, the bear bit and tugged on her skirt 

"I'm sorry, Berry, but I can't stay any longer." The squirrels then sat in front of the opening, like asking her not to go. 

"Would you all like to come with me?" The other animal were small enough, but Berry was to big. Felicity pulled out the wand and a spell book and looked at berry. He set down and bowed his head. She pointed the wand at Berry and whispered 

"ferre pirum moles moli." Berry started to get smaller. In about a minute he was the size of a pear. 

"The spell should wear off in a few hours." Felicity said gesturing for the animals to go through the whole, as if inviting them in home.

Once they were all passed the wall, Felicity had a new feeling that she'd never bad before. She couldn't quite explain it, but she could think of only one word to describe it.".....Freedom"

~To Be Continued~