Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2: POWERS & MELODY

"Wow. It describes me perfectly" I say out loud, looking at Alex. We trade papers, and she laughs. I smile. "Right?! It couldn't be more perfect." I say. Mine is seeing inside people, or basically knowing everything about a person without even talking to them. AWESOME. I look at hers too. Whoa. She can read minds. But what's this? Underneath, there's another one. I grab my paper too. I have one too! That's weird, we have 2 abilities! What? Is that normal? I explain this all to Alex, and she listens eagerly. We both can see dead people as a second ability! Cool! ..."Alex, what was that noise?" I ask suddenly, my smile turning into a small frown. Alex grabs my arm and we both sit upright, tense and alert. "There it is again!" she whispered. We both heard it that time. It was a quiet snore. "Is someone snoring?" she asks impatiently, still whispering. "I think so..." I reply faintly, looking around. Alex stiffens, then points upwards into the tree we were resting under. I look up, and in the faint moonlight, I can see the outline of a person sprawled out on a branch. "HELLO?" I yell, and the figure wakes up in a panic and falls out of the tree, landing with a solid thud. I cringe at the noise, and the figure gets up and rubs its arm. "What was that for?!" says the figure in a tom-boy-ish tone of voice. The person steps toward our small fire, and I can see her face now in the soft glow of the fire. "Who are you?" asks Alex, examining her every move. "The name is Elizabeth, but call me Melody." "Why melody? Elizabeth is a pretty name." I ask softly. "It's what my mom used to call me..." melody responded, with a slight tremor in her voice. "Um, so why were you in this tree?" Alex asked. "well miss 20 questions, what are you two doing in the woods, and why are you wearing those brown jumpsuits? I must say, they are quite the fashion statement." Melody responded sarcastically, any hint of uncertainty in her voice gone. Before I could say anything, her eyes widened, and in the dim light she was growing noticeably pale in the face. In a very low voice, she spoke again, "Are you both from laboratory A16?" Alex and I turned to look at each other. After a brief moment of silence, I spoke up and said: "why do you ask?" she started laughing, and I gave her a confused look. "I broke out of there last week. Those idiots should of known better than to put me anywhere near metal!" As Alex and I shared another questioning glance, I spoke again. "so you are another 'special' kid?" "Yep. I take it your powers haven't appeared yet. Mine appeared 3 years ago, I think." "What are your powers, melody?" Alex says, now interested in her abilities. Melody smiled and scratched her head. "Be warned, I have a lot of so called abilities." She says, and I roll my eyes. "shoot." I say, with a smirk of my own. "You asked for it.. I can pretty much talk to computers, make computers, and hack computers, and so on. It's what they call a technopath. I recently discovered that I can shapeshift, I can turn water to ice, and make things out of ice... and see dead people. It's quite a list, and it's also why lab A16 wants me back so bad." I turn to Alex and she has a surprised look on her face. "did you say see ghosts? We can too." "That's super cool, and useful too!" Melody says excitedly, still smiling with that goofy grin of hers. It's starting to grow on me. Her smile quickly faded into a questioning look as she looked at both of us in the glow of the flames. "Alexis and Amy? Is that you?" "How do you know our names?" "The envelope. That was me."she said smirking. Our eyes widened, and we both looked at each other.