Chapter 1: The Start of Something New

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY💓

Orlando, Florida, three years ago.

Emma's POV

It was the crack of dawn. Why was Emma up? Well, that's a good question lacking a good answer. Emma went over to her desk and plopped down on the cushioned spinning chair. She pulled her Black iPhone 6S off of its charger, and she started looking at her text messages. Nothing, as usual. She stared at the case-less phone, admiring its cleanliness. Emma sighed at the lack of notifications and put her phone back down on the desk.

She got up and changed, and she decided to go for a walk. She put on a navy blue sports bra, black leggings with the texture of yoga pants, and some random pair of grey sneakers she found in the back of her closet. She grabbed her phone and water bottle and headed out. She stepped outside of her dull apartment building, shutting her eyes to enjoy the warmth of that loving spring day.

In her left hand she carried her purple camelback water bottle, and in her right hand she carried her phone. She had earbuds in her ears, listening to the radio. She was listening to her favorite song, "Kiss It Better" By Rihanna, her favorite artist of all time. She begins jogging with a huge smile on her face, singing along to the song without a care in her mind. Once the song ends, she turns down the volume by two notches, but still listens. The radio station begins talking about a contest to see Rihanna in concert. Emma perks her head and turns the volume back up, interested in the competition. The competition was to create a cover of any Rihanna song and post it to the internet. Simple enough, thought Emma.  She was only semi-confident in her voice, but something could be arranged to fix that, she was sure of it.

She looked at her phone and noticed that she had an hour until work. She had to be in Magic Kingdom, the park she worked in, by 10:00 AM sharp. She jogged back to her apartment, showered, and threw on sweats. To get to her job at Disneyworld, she had to take two trains and a monorail, because she didn't have a car.

As she entered Disneyworld, she looked around, admiring the everyday beauty of her job. It smelled of barbecue and happiness, and it looked gorgeous as always. She went back into her changing area and got dressed and ready. She was Snow White in Disneyland, a not-so-difficult task that was easy for any 19-year-old girl to do.

As she got ready, she saw her boss pass by, and she asked for her schedule. Her boss turned to her and said, "You are working all of today's shifts."
"But sir, that isn't fair!" She replied.
"Life isn't fair. You want this job? You gotta work for it. All my other Snow Whites have things to do, and you don't. You will work all four shifts or you can quit."
"At least pay me the amount for four shifts!"
"I'll pay you double your usual, nothing more."
"Fine."
Emma sighed. A whole day of working! When am I supposed to make this stupid video? Emma groaned and went outside. She would have a long day of work.

New York City, New York, three years ago.

Killian's POV

Beep beep. Killian awoke to the displeasing sound of his alarm clock going off. He had two options; he could hit snooze, and probably be late to his interview, or he could try and do something useful with his life and show up on time and get the job. Come on, you need this job, he told himself. He got up and got ready.

He looked in the mirror and smirked, as he looked devilishly handsome, as always. He grabbed a quick bite to eat and bolted out of his condo. He hopped into his yellow Volkswagen Beetle, and drove away.

He turned on the radio, and his ears tuned in to the sound of a competition. A singing competition? Do a duet with Rihanna? I could work with that! What if this could be my big break! No, it won't be. Come on, Killian, get your head out of the clouds! Now you are going to step into this interview and you will get that job!

Killian hopped out of the bug, and stood right in front of the building. He checked to make sure his entirely black and white semi-formal suit wasn't wrinkled, and he gaped at the huge building. He wanted to look his best for such a formal meeting. Although he was 19, he wanted to give off the responsibility and personality of an adult. Despite the fact that it was a magazine company, everything was super fancy and formal and it was all taken super seriously. He looked it up and down, from the perfectly placed bricks without a spot of graffiti to its fancy glass doors. He stepped inside, glancing at the lobby. It had a huge front desk and several sofas and chairs, a few tvs, a café, and a bar. This place is amazing. I could never belong in a place as put together as this place is. Everything seems so......professional! I can't do this.

Killian turns around to bail. As he approaches the door, he nearly runs slam into a man barely larger than him. The man wore a suit similar to his, just slightly more formal and it was navy and white rather than black and white. The man was almost entirely bald, and was obviously close to getting there. He looked slightly overweight, and around the age of 50. "Watch where you're going, don't want you to walk into those doors!" The man chuckled. At first he sounded super tough and scary, with a deep voice and straight face, but then he lightened up with a smile.

"Hey, aren't you the guy who's here for that interview with me! What was your name again? Oh god, this is embarrassing! It was something like...like...Kevin, was it?"
Killian laughed shyly and responded, "Killian. Killian Jones. Am I in the right building for the interview?"
The man smiled and said, "Yup, right this way!"
Killian followed the man upstairs into a moderately-sized room, complete with a leather chair across from another huge, leather chair sitting behind a large desk. It had carpet, unlike the rest of the building, which had tile for flooring.

"So, I looked at your resume. Everything looks fantastic! The experience, the passion, I love it! I think you will make an amazing journalist for this magazine! With one exception, of course. You have one week to come up with an eye grabbing article for our magazine, or I give the job to somebody else."

Killian smiled as best he could, trying not to show his worry. He took a deep breathe, picking up the smell of a new car. He turned his focus back to the offer at hand, and he accepted.

See, that wasn't too bad. I didn't blow it, I ended early, and I'm sure I could still enter that competition! All I have to do is write an article, not too hard, right? Killian suddenly had a marvelous idea that could not only help him, but his possibility of a job.

I bet I could even write an article on the contest! That's sure to help me win and secure my job! It's simple; I write an article about it, the people hosting the competition love me because I'm advertising their competition. I get an article completed, and I get the job! This is absolutely perfect!

Killian started driving home, and in all his excitement, he could hardly pay attention. Before his eyes, a car rushed by, and the next thing Killian knew, everything was dark and silent.

(There you go, guys! Chapter number one! I know it's pretty crappy, but I still hoped you like it. I will release all the odd chapters on Tuesdays, and Cam will put the even ones out on Saturdays! We are writing every other chapter, so I hope you like it!) -A