Chapter 2: Setbacks

Emma's POV

Working 4 different shifts in a row was probably Emma Swan's worst nightmare. All her life, she had jumped from job to job to try to make money herself. Occasionally, she had taken a double shift, even if she hated it. As long as she had gotten as much money as she had worked for, it was okay.

But this time, it wasn't.

She was working 4 times as much that bright April day, and Orlando was hot and crowded. That means sweaty children, who are sticky from melted ice cream, and they smell, and everything was miserable.

And the worst thing was, she was getting paid half as much.

After a long day of working, Emma had finally gotten back to the employees' locker room. She walked over to her locker, labelled 'Snow White,' which was located in between 'Peter Pan' and 'Belle.' But when she got there, the locker was opened, and all of her things were on the floor.

Emma was slightly shaken when her boss, Stanley, walked through the door with a shorter female with black hair and a pixie cut. Her skin was white as snow, and she had the elegance of a princess as she walked in her floral skirt and white blouse.

"...And here's the locker room, where the 'magic' happens," Stanley said with air quotes. Emma took off her black wig as Stanley's intense eyes moved toward Emma.

He turned to the black haired girl and said, "Could you step outside for a second? There's something I have to do."

The girl nodded and opened the blue door.

Emma felt like throwing up when  Stanley had said, "You know what's happening, don't you?" Emma lied and nodded, hoping it would better her chances of avoiding what was about to come at her. "Emma, we've appreciated you being Snow White for the past few months..."

Emma gulped.

"...because we haven't found anyone to be Snow..."

She braced herself for what was coming.

"...But we've found a perfect Snow White. And, well, it would be confusing if we had 2 Snow Whites running around the park. So, unfortunately, we have to let you go. You get your double paycheck in 3 days. I'm sorry, Emma, but it's time to hand in your wig."

Stanley snatched the wig from Emma's hand as she put on a blank expression. Show no emotion, she thought, being weak is not allowed. Emma picked her duffel bag and put her things in it. She picked up the bag and walked to the bathroom to change.

As she looked in the mirror, she did not see herself, but a damaged girl playing dress-up. She wasn't planning for this to be her lifetime job (who could imagine an old Snow White?), but it was still her only way of making money, so she was disappointed. Not in Stanley, not in the black haired girl, but herself.

She was disappointed in herself for not looking enough like a princess to keep a job.

Once Emma had changed, she looked at the damaged girl in the mirror one more time, sucked up her feelings, and left the bathroom.

Giving Stanley and the locker room one last glance, she handed him the primary-colored dress and left with only a 'goodbye.'

As Emma stepped out into the chilly night of Fantasyland, she breathed in the smell of sweet kettle corn and the park's oddly magical scent. She may not have enjoyed all of it, but it was her home.

Emma's moment was ruined when the black haired girl had approached her.

"So I'm guessing you are- were Snow White. Got any tips?" she asked.