Monsters of the Night

She was the one who saw all of the monsters that lingered in the doorway, calling her name. She wanted to run. There was no doubt in her mind that she wanted to run away into warm, open arms but her only escape was to stay. She remembered of how the cooling wind whispered to her, sending tingles down her spine and remembered the stories the raindrops told as they would gently fall towards the ground. Oh how sad it is when the rain falls. It’s not that it looks gloomy and the sun isn’t shining but the fact that rain has a lifespan of mere seconds before they splatter upon the ground. She remembered jumping around in rain’s blood with small yellow boots only to have some fun as a yellow umbrella saved her from drowning in the cloud’s friendless tears. The raindrops never experience love for all they do is hold their breath and tell children stories that would create small ticks to melodize the little ones to sleep. The rain couldn’t save her from the rampant chaos that eats away at her slowly but, she knew that the chaos itself was her reality. Swallowed up in the sounds of her screaming, she would always fear of silent nights for they were the nights that the nightmares would crawl out from underneath her bed only to draw hushed pictures along her body with their reticent claws. They don’t whisper or call, only the creaks of the floorboards can be heard as they hum the song of the dark saints. They wished for her to be scared and every night their wish would be granted with screams that she hoped would be met by caring ears but, nobody heard her helpless cries. She was all alone and that, never changed.