Chapter 2

2

           Lily took several deep gulps of open air, trying to force the nausea away. She could persevere and overcome. She only had to believe hard enough. She held the small metal tie in her hand and watched Neal struggle with the tent.

          “Piece of crap tent!” Neal cursed, wresting with the wire supports. He’d had this tent for three years now, he could put it up in his sleep. Except, apparently when Lily was watching him. Damn fucking piece of pig shit tent. He looked up at Lily, concerned she had heard that last part. Instead of seeing her horrified face, he saw her smirk. And it made him laugh and irritated him in the same turn.

          Lily looked at the tall trees surrounding the lake. It was so pretty here. She preferred the river to the lake, but this was to make Neal happy, and she could adapt. This trip would be called a success if she somehow managed not to throw up all over everything. Her back hurt, and she was getting a headache, but she was focused on keeping a smile. Granted, it was only seven in the morning, but she hadn’t had much sleep, much less a sip of coffee. And it was way too early for soda.

        Neal slipped the support through the blue nylon pocket, pleased and proud the tent was up. The supports he drove into the ground and used the four, well three –Lily still had hers- metal ties to keep the tent on the ground. It was always windy on the lake. He sat back and looked with pride at his build.

        “Are we going fishing now?” Lily asked, as she handed over the metal tie. She bent down and picked up the fishing poles, backpack, and tackle box. She brushed her long bangs from her face, and smiled at Neal.

      “Sure. Let’s go.” Neal said, his heart skipped as her saw her smile. He took the rods and backpack from Lily and directed her towards the fishing pier. He let her walk in front of him, so he could watch her ass as she walked. She was so hot, so beautiful and mesmerizing, he was stunned by her. She was so sensitive and caring, funny and disciplined, she was special. His mom liked her, and that was rare, but even more bizarre was his twin sister Naomi liking her. Naomi was a snob. She didn’t like anyone, and she liked Lily.

      Lily walked down the dirt path, carrying the tackle box and watched the families arrive. Such happy faces on the kids, their excited shrieks and squeals as the raced to the sandy beach. Her hand went back to her lower stomach, and she thought about the hypothetical, as of now baby. Even thinking about it in the imaginary stage, was still terrifying and surreal. Her nausea was most likely nerves, the anxiety of leaving Keyasha, and taking her relationship with Neal to the next level. Lily had to smile, next level. This imaginary baby would be taking her relationship on the express train, obliterating the tiny step of moving in with him by a mile.

       Neal joined her on the wooden pier, glad it was relatively empty. Not surprising, it was well after seven, and the serious fisherman were already gone. The kids and recreational fishers were the second wave. More than likely, he and Lily would only catch perch, if they were lucky. But it was the pier, and they would be throwing anything they caught back anyway.

      Lily took the blue fishing rod from Neal and waited while he tied the hook and baited it for her. She was born and raised in Texas, she knew how to bait a hook. But the scent and sight of the night crawlers was enough to make her grimace. She’d complain about it later, after she felt better.

       “Do you need help casting?” Neal asked as he baited his hook.

       “No, Neal. I’ve got it. I know how to cast.” Lily said, pulling the rod back. She checked around her, then flicked her arm forward, sending the hook in floating, flattened arc that landed a good thirty feet away. She looked at Neal and smiled, then looked back to her line.