Chapter 3

Firstly, thanks to all those who are still with me at this point as I know I don't upload very often. Thank you also to all those who followed me and/ or voted on this story even though it's still in the early stages... so bear with me guys. Meanwhile, here's a long chapter to keep ya busy. :) Much love, Samii xoxo <3

Chapter 3 [2 weeks later...]

Smiling sadly, I grabbed my green clutch that matched my beautifully decorated moss-green knee-length dress and slipped into my favourite black chunky heeled boots which matched my black shrug and leggings.  My long hair was braided into a fancy bun by my mum who had decided that this was the perfect opportunity to dress me up. In fact, she had brought me this dress and recommended to me, saying that the right shade of green compliments my eyes.  I had only put a little makeup as I didn't want to look overboard or anything. I hated not knowing what to expect from the other contestants. It was one of those moments where you wouldn't know if you were going to be underdressed or overdressed. I wandered around the house committing everything to memory. A year was a long time to be away from your parents, and especially at the age of 18, even though I would now be considered an adult. I grimaced at the thought of me being an adult. I was expected to know how to pay bills and do my own shopping when I couldn't even remember where I put my keys half the time. Seriously though, I personally thought you should be at least 21 to be considered an adult legally.

Taking a deep breath, I stepped outside into the cool morning air and sighed

Taking a deep breath, I stepped outside into the cool morning air and sighed.  I was totally going to miss my parents, not to mention Todd. We'd been virtually inseparable since we met during the first year of high school, but it felt like I had known him forever.

They stopped talking when I approached and gave me sympathetic smiles. Of course they would feel guilty for me going, even though they had managed to successfully persuade me. I touched my mother's arm. "Hey, don't worry about me. I'm a tough cookie, remember?" My mum broke into a wide grin. It was a joke between my mother and I that we were both tough cookies. It probably had to do with the fact that both of us were loud and easy-going. I was often called a firecracker and was teased for being too sassy. "Plus," I added, "I'll try to phone you at least once a week or so, but I might be too busy having so much 'princess fun.' I joked, making quotation marks with my fingers when saying 'princess fun.' Who knows what princesses got up to in their spare time. And whether they even got any. I certainly didn't and didn't want to particularly want to find out.  I hugged my mother tightly and suddenly wished that I didn't have to go. I was going to miss everyone soo bad. "Layla, honey, you look so beautiful in this dress. Make sure you behave yourself, and good luck with everything."