one

rain beat down threateningly, slamming against windows and plundering into walls. thunder rumbled as the clouds overhead rapidly chased each other across the dreary grey sky.

one person in particular, lentil, was stuck out in the disappointing weather; except for the fact that lentil found the rain one of the most soothing things on the planet.

much alike humans, the weather couldn't be perfect. however, people that could see the beauty in the rain could understand what it felt like to be misjudged and under appreciated like the rain itself.

lentil understood.

she relished the feeling of the wet raindrops trickling paths down her skin and droplets clinging onto wisps of hair that fell around her face. she could almost envision the disapproving looks coming from parents as they watched her walk, from the safety of their windows, down the streets, warning her that she would turn ill from the cold temperatures.

lentil didn't care.

it was times like these which she joyed to experience. times when the roads were slack of pedestrians and the pattering of the rain put her mind at ease. it was a soft lullaby as it splashed onto the tarmac at her feet.

she was on the way back home after picking up some groceries at the nearby food market. lentil had purposely shown up just as the store had been about to close so that it would be mostly cleared of distracted shoppers. she hated when lots of people were surrounding and crowding her, even if it wasn't intentional.

lentil finally arrived back home and just as she'd already predicted, her mother was stood in the doorway awaiting her return and was shaking her head in disapproval.

"what were you thinking?" cassandra ushered lentil inside, away from the thunderous and threatening weather.

"you needed milk and eggs." lentil stated while she shrugged off her hoodie and placed her soggy sneakers in the porch where they could dry overnight.

"well, take a coat next time." cassandra shot lentil one more disapproving look before sweeping into the kitchen with the milk and eggs that her daughter had picked up for her. lentil decided to go to sleep early as she had an college lecture in the morning that required a certain amount of energy in order for her to be able to absorb the information.

on route to her bedroom, lentil passed her brother's room. even from the hallway beyond his bedroom door she could hear the loud snoring emanating from within. she rolled her eyes and closed cory's door quietly so that it wouldn't cause arguments if she woke him.

entering her own room, she threw herself onto her bed and was quick to pull the covers over her body.

ten minutes went by and lentil was passed out, sent to a world of dreams and fantasies.