Prologue

My heart is pounding out of my chest as I glance behind me. The growls and snarls of the Biters grow louder as they get closer. I look back at him, to see he's made little progress. What's taking him so damn long? I could feel my body shaking at the intense pressure we were under.

"Hurry up," I snapped making him flinch slightly.

The growls and snarls were getting louder as I frustratedly stood where I was holding my pistol in hand.

"I'm trying," he snapped back, not looking up from his shaking hands.

Suddenly I saw the large hoard round the corner and I started to panic even more than before. They were getting very close, very quickly. I raised my pistol and frantically glanced over my shoulder to check on his progress before looking back at the approaching hoard.

"Oliver they're coming!" I shouted at him and suddenly I heard a click.

He quickly stood and ripped the lock off the chain and yanked the chain through the handles. Once the door was open he grabbed my wrist and pulled me inside before slamming the doors shut and locking​ them from the inside.

Seconds after the door was locked a loud banging came from the door, letting us know that they were just outside.

I sighed in relief as I leaned against the wall and slid down to the floor to catch my breath.

"That was close," Oliver gasped lightly as he slid to sit next to me.

"You're telling me?" I chuckled making him laugh in response.