Kirstie

I woke up to the late winter sun peeking through the window, and the smell of pancakes wafting through the door of my bedroom.

I rolled over, sleep still gripping at my form, and my hand lazily searched for my phone sitting on the bedside table. Once successful, I checked the time. It was precisely ten in the morning. I had a few messages from coworkers back in New York City that I opted to ignore. I was on vacation anyways, this was my time.

I made my way out of my designated room, down the old, creaky stairs and into the kitchen where I found my sister flipping pancakes, her hair piled on top of her head in a knot.

"Well good morning to you, sleepy head!" she glanced back at me and chirped. I rolled my eyes at her energy, taking a seat at the table where I rested my head. This was becoming a habit of mine.

"You know you don't have to cook for me," I muttered, closing my eyes.

Evan chuckled, "Is my cooking that bad?" she asked jokingly.

"No, you're amazing, I just feel bad having you do everything for me."

Now it was her turn to roll her eyes, "You only arrived yesterday, silly. Let me spoil you a little, I haven't been able to cook for anyone in a while."

"So you've eaten alone every night?" I asked, feeling another pang of guilt. If it wasn't for me and my need to be in a city, she wouldn't be living alone.

Evan shook her head, "No... But I'm not usually the one cooking then."

"Oh?" I raised my eyebrows questioningly. "And so who is?"

A faint blush crept onto her cheeks, I could see.

"It doesn't matter..."

I stood from my seat abruptly, excitement and curiosity coursing through me.

"Tell me!" I demanded with a smile on my face, "Are you in looove?"

Evan chuckled, turning back to the pancakes, a few of them had burned during our brief session of banter. "Just drop it, Mitch."

I shyed away at the stern tone in her voice.

"Fine, but you know I'll find out eventually."

Evan nodded. The pancakes were placed on the table, along with syrup and other various toppings. She spoke after a few minutes of silence.

"I have to work at the gallery for a few hours today, I know it's kind of inconvenient for you, but you can always feel free to stop by, walk around town a little, explore, whatever. The walk into town is only about ten minutes."

I nodded, chewing on pancake and swallowing before replying.

"It's not inconvenient at all, don't worry. I can't expect you to just drop everything just because I'm around now," I paused, "I'll come visit you, though, if it doesn't interrupt you, I don't think I've seen any of your new stuff."

Evan grinned, seemingly more happy than she was a minute ago.

"Brilliant! I'll text you the directions so that you don't get lost on the way," she sang, "Oh, and there's a little coffee shop right next door to my gallery that you should stop by at. I know how much you love your caffeine, and the coffee is to die for... So is the owner," she added, sending a wink over my way. I was confused as to why she did, but brushed it off when she stood to take care of her plate.

"It's a bit chilly out today so if I were you I'd bundle up, and maybe wear boots if you brought some, the roads might still be a bit snowy. Lucky you missed the storm though, that was brutal."