Chapter 6

"Are the kids staying in the apartment?" I ask one of the men in black that brought me back to the hospital. He glares at me before answering.

"Yes they are. Trenton will be visiting you tonight. Further instructions and stuff." He says stiffly. I return his glare just before he disappears in yet another flash of green. Despite the fact that society has doors in apartments, there are no doors leading outside, hence the need for teleportation. I wonder how many of my classmates chose to leave the city. I don't think they ended up having time for classes. We don't know what the outside world even looks like. There are no pictures of it online, nor do we have windows. I used to think a closed off apartment was cozy, but now I'm beginning to think that it's a cold way to live. Never having human contact, no idea what the outside world is. Being denied the outside world only makes me crave it more. Even though it was part of my deal, I know the chances of me actually ending up outside are extremely slim.

I stand alone in the hallway, hating what my life has become. We grow up thinking the world is perfect, but it most definitely is not. Angrily, I slip off my shoes and throw them down the hallway with all of the force I can muster. Ironic how I lived happily all of these years without love, and now that I have it, I'm miserable. In the end, I hope I can become close with the children I am now in charge of. There were about a dozen kids in that room, but who's to say that there are not more? For all I know, I could be taking care of kids at the age of ninety. Not a pleasant thought. At that age, all I'll ever want to do is nap. Slowly, I catch up with my shoes, picking them up and moving into the bathroom for some alone time. Today has been a disaster.

"Well look who's back!" Jason exclaims. The bathroom door is halfway open, but I let it shut and move to Jason, embracing him in a matter of seconds. As soon as we touch, the tears come streaming down my face.
"What's wrong? Today is usually a happy day. Freedom of choice and all." As he says this, all I do is cry harder.

"You were right about how badly the government wants me. I don't see why though. What they want me to do has nothing to do with programming. Programming is my real talent." I choke up as I speak. Jason strokes my blonde hair and pulls me closer.

"I know why. Let's just say you are way more powerful than you give yourself credit for being." Jason whispers in my ear.

"Jason. There's a lot that I need to tell you tonight." I grab his hand and pull him into the bathroom, despite it being a female only bathroom. We'll only be in here long enough for me to tell him some important details before tomorrow. Tentatively, he follows me in.

"I wanted to make the choices with you, but I obviously couldn't. Before I realized it, I told Trenton that I wanted to leave the city. I didn't even see it coming. Trenton told me that I had could marry you if I raised children and worked nights on some radio programming. Convincing people that the government is good. He said if I said no, he would kill you and torture me. I couldn't let him do that to you. I agreed. He said I could go outside occasionally, but I'm smart enough to realize that is probably not going to happen ever." I sob. Jason wipes my tears away and hands me a tissue. I take it from him feeling quite grateful for having him.

"I can tell you why they want you. They didn't realize it until sometime recently, but you are special. You have a special power. When you talk, you can make anybody do anything. I noticed it in your blood test when you came in. I wanted to tell you sooner, but Trenton threatened to torture you and force me to witness it. I don't know about you, but the second I saw you, I knew this was true love. I couldn't let that happen to you. Whatever choices you made, I fully support." Jason whispers quietly.

"That's why they want me to watch those kids. I'm just like them. I never even noticed. That's why they want me on the radio. I don't want to have to do that to people." I mutter under my breathe. Jason grabs the back of my neck and pulls me to him. Our lips meet and I find myself drowning in the sweetness and passion of Jason's lips. Nothing can beat this feeling. When I'm kissing Jason, I feel like despite life chasing after me and trying to capture me, I'm safe. Nothing can get me down. I'm invincible when I'm with Jason. It doesn't matter that our love caused all of these problems because I know in the end that our love will triumph. I used to think love at first sight didn't exist, but now I know that it does.

"You are the bravest person that I have ever met. I know that you are strong enough to get through this, no matter what happens. Follow your gut feelings and you will never steer wrong." Jason announces.

"I'm scared Jason. I don't know what's going to happen. I don't want to be the government's puppet. Trenton is coming to visit tonight. I don't want to see him, but I know I have to. He just gives me the creeps." I inform Jason. He hugs me and then scoops me into his arms like a small child, kicking open the bathroom door, much to the surprise of a nurse.

"I will protect you. I will be your knight in shining armor. As long as I'm around, no harm will come your way." Jason whispers in my ears.

I love this chapter! So many things happen even though it's mostly dialog. Make sure that if you love it as much as I do, you vote and comment. If you have any suggestions, feel free to contact me.