16. Three Tales Become One

"Congratulations," said the old man

Oli just looked at him with a blank face.

"The last man I saw wear that look had just woken up, in that same bed, after suffering from the same condition as you," the old man continued, "I believe you've found your way."

Without hesitating, the old man removed the necklace from around Oli's neck. Oli stumbled to the floor, his head feeling as if it had been hit by a sledgehammer.

MISS ME YOU BACKSTABBING PIECE OF SHIT?! WELL, YOU'VE FUCKED UP NOW! I'M BACK AND I'M READY TO TEAR YOUR GODDAMN ORGANS TO SHREDS!

Oli just closed his eyes and breathed. Allowing the memory to flow into his mind. He felt a cooling surge through his body as the fire inside him slowly calmed.

What?! How did you?! This is impossible!

Oli looked up to see the old man smiling down at him, before turning and walking over to a chest of drawers. He unlocked the middle shelf, dropped the necklace in, then closed it over again. As he had opened it, however, Oli had noticed it contained some rather odd items. Some sort of white cape, with a twin pair of revolvers strapped to a similarly coloured belt.

"What's all that? A cosplay or something?" Oli smirked.

"Something from a long time ago," grunted the old man.

"Like, Carter Slade old?"

"Excuse me?" the old man glared at Oli.

Oli shrugged; "I had some spare time on my hands and went looking around. Found some stuff in the back, it was almost like a shrine to a man named 'Carter Slade'. Drawings of some dude in a weird costume. Kinda like the stuff that's in that drawer." Oli gestured towards the one the old man now had his hand over.

He watched as the old man's shoulders sagged.

"Yes, my name was Carter Slade," he replied, he seemed almost... defeated?

"Why did you say 'was'?"

"Because that man died long ago. Once upon a time, I was called 'The Phantom Rider'. I was no Ghost Rider, believe me, but I am possessed. By the spirit of one of my ancestors."

Oli stared in shock. Again. The old man just seemed to slump.

"It's how I've lasted this long, his energy has sustained me, but eventually, as he's only a human spirit, he will wither away, casting himself and I on our final journey to... wherever we are destined. I used my power to protect the folk in my town, and every town. I saved the innocent, beat the bad guys, all that heroic crap. Then I failed. Some poor girl perished in a barn fire because I wasn't there to protect her. I had to hide this all away after that. I felt that if I used what I learned during my time to help those like yourself, I'd be doing some good. Doesn't seem to have improved much. All but one Ghost Rider has died so far, Hades is more powerful than ever, and I'm an old man now. I've gone from being a protector of the West to hiding in a chapel from a monster I've never met."

Oli placed his hand on Carter's shoulder.

"Then stop hiding. Help me stop him because I do not intend to die anytime soon."

Carter shrugged Oli's hand off.

"My hero days are over. The Phantom Rider is long dead, buried and gone. Go live your life kid, you earned it."

Oli looked at the back of Carter's head in dismay. Seems like it was back to plan A. End the Fifth Street while avoiding Hades and return Zarathos to Hell.

"What could be so difficult about that?" he thought sarcastically.