Switched - Chapter 2

Chapter 2 

"Hah," Jessie gloated. "Your scanners have a glitch. Ain't nobody here 'cept us chickens." Then, she realized everyone on the bridge was looking at her. "What?" 

"Security, run diagnostics on the identification sensors. Contact me in my quarters." The Captain turned to Jessie. "Come with me." 

Normally, she didn't appreciate people ordering her around. Since he appeared to be in charge, she figured he was her best hope for getting answers and getting home. She gallumped after him, wishing she'd taken off that shoe. If she took time now, she'd probably lose him. 

His long legs, hard muscles evident beneath the form-fitting uniform, stretched out as he strode down the wide hallway. Yes, indeed, very tight buns. 

"Would you slow down?" She panted as she tried to keep up. She definitely needed to make time for exercise. "Great acting back there. You guys made it feel like someone was really chasing us. But, I've had enough. Take me home. This isn't funny. I never liked pretending. I prefer my fantasy on television or in the movies. I don't want to play your silly games anymore." 

They continued along the corridor. Again, she noticed how it curved, as if they were traversing the perimeter of a large central room. He stopped, tapped his link and a door appeared on the right. They entered a room, smaller than the two she'd been in. Though spartan in decor, books on shelves and objects in a display case made the room seem personal. 

"Books? Gotcha." She smirked in triumph. "Your set designers slipped up. If you're pretending to be some kind of advanced culture, why would you still have paper books? You should have electronic readers. Even in our primitive culture we have electronic readers." 

He gave her that 'Mr. Nutt' look. Made her feel downright stupid. Most of her teachers had made her feel that way. Her parents still did. 

"I prefer using the tactile senses while reading for enjoyment," he said. "Those volumes are very old, very rare. Please do not touch." 

She realized the door whooshed behind them as soon as they entered the room. The doorway just disappeared into the wall. She couldn't even see where it had been. Ice snaked down her spine. She was alone with this stranger. A stranger who indulged in make-believe. Could he have gone around the bend? She heard about fantasy players who became so involved in their games they lost touch with reality. 

"I want to go home." She hated the tremor in her voice. She was no wimp but this situation was starting to frighten her. Where was her brother? Surely Tim should have shown up by now, if only to gloat on how he pulled off another gag. But what if Tim wasn't involved? What if- 

"I would like nothing better than to return you to your home." The Captain rubbed the bridge of his nose. "We never meant to transport you." 

"What?" 

"The directional signal for our transport must have developed a minor glitch as you call it. We wanted Cindy Crawford." 

Well, if that doesn't take the cake. Figures they'd want some model instead of me. "Glitch! I'll say you had a glitch. I don't look the least bit like Cindy Crawford." 

His unnerving silver gaze traveled down her body and up again. "Yes, I know." 

She yanked her baggy T-shirt over her jeans in a futile attempt to conceal the extra weight she carried on her hips. She was going to lose those fifteen pounds one of these days. As soon as Meijer's stopped carrying mint chocolate chip ice cream. Or Chunky Monkey. Or Mackinac Island Fudge. Or... 

She pursed her lips. "Fat chance Cindy Crawford would come to one of your conventions." 

"I did not mean to insult you."