Night and Day

This isn't going to be a happy story.

Oh, you thought it might? Well, I mustn't give you fake glory.

But what I must give you is a good narrative,

That, my friends, is imperative.

To start, we have the King of the Night.

He may seem scary, but he thinks it is foolish to fight.

Every night he sits upon his canoe among the Sea of Dreams,

Indeed, yes, a bit desperate he seems.

He paddles and looks down on the frightful mortals,

Casting dreams and nightmares through the endless portals.

A figure sits by his side, draped in black robes just as the ruler sitting at the helm,

Their cursed head tilted down towards the dark realm.

"What do you think is really down there?"

Night looked back at the cloaked figure for a moment, then turned back and continued paddling. He would pass the same portals as he always did, the light paddle stroking the dark shadows as it had done for a few millennium.

"I see what you cannot see. Others' dreams and nightmares. The stars, the constellations. I see you."

"Yes, I know, your majesty."

Night expected the answer as he had spent some years of his reign with the cursed soul. She gently let her fading fingers skim the endless waves. Her eyes were not able to be seen. This didn't make a difference though, for her eyes were dark and empty like the Sea of Dreams itself.

"Are you alright?"

The ageless girl took off the hood of her robes and let her hair drift upon her face. She looked up at Night, her eyes endless holes into darkness. Stars danced across her periwinkle cheeks, serving as her long lost freckles.

"Why wouldn't I be, your highness?"

The boy continued paddling, a soft chuckle escaping his lips. "You're dreaming once again."

The girl frowned, sitting up in the small canoe. "Are we done yet, your majesty?"

The Sea of Dreams shifted as the King of Night took a deep stroke towards his kingdom. The robed girl did not need an answer, for now she felt the ambience of her room grew closer; they were headed toward the tall castle she knew as her eternal home. As the boat hit the peculiar ebony sand, the girl rushed off first, her feet slamming against the cold dreams that now echoed around her ankles. She reached out a hand to help Night out of the boat but he shook his head in a soft decline.

"I think I have told you enough that I can get out of this cursed boat on my own."

The girl took a small step back, the beach threading through the spaces between her toes. Night stepped out of the boat, his heels drifting above the ground for a moment and then sinking back down to the level were his surf now stood.

The boat behind him disappears like it always does, fading away into the depths like it always had and would continue to do until the end of time.

"Where are we going today, your royal highness?"

"The usual."

"What is the usual again?"

"The thing we do every morning and night. Greet the King of Day."