2

Sirius

Our eyes connect and my heart, which has been racing nonstop for the past half hour, stops. He stares at me and a look of understanding crosses his face, and I feel my mind start to move at four million miles past the speed of light.

He ditched us for a girl. He had seemed so excited in his last letter, ready for an amazing all boys day with two of his best friends (poor Peter was stuck at his old dying great-great-great grandmother's house for the whole week) and instead ditched us for some girl. He could've scheduled us for a different day-no- he could've scheduled her for a different day. We've been planning this for too long. Or, if something had come up, he could've sent us an owl, at least let us know where he was so we wouldn't be panicking.

I know the rational part of my brain is happy he's ok, and knows that I shouldn't hold it against him. How many times have Prongs and I ditched him to be with girls? But with him it's different. He's supposed to always be there, he's not supposed to be with anyone. He's supposed to be the best friend I can always turn to and talk to and be with and... Why am I making such a big deal out of this? Oh, yeah, Moony is not allowed to be with a girl.

He looks so happy though, and that's what I want right? I want him to be happy. Right?

Yes, of course he's my friend! Why wouldn't I want him to be happy?

Then why do I literally feel dead inside right now?

"Uh... Sirius?" I see Prongs's hand shaking exuberantly up and down in front of my face, and I shake my head as if I were a wet dog. "You ok mate?" I nod and look at Moony's friend.

"Anyway," Prongs says in a highly disconcerted voice, "what's your name?" I roll my eyes at Prongs's pathetic flirting and I notice that Moony's friend does the exact same thing.

"I'm Cassiopeia Smith and you?" She asks looking at the pair of us. I glare at the ceiling, trying to not show my still confused feelings right now.

"Potter, James Potter," he says smoothly sticking out his hand and shaking hers.

"Nice to meet you James Bond, whose your sulky friend in the corner?" Moony laughs softly and Prongs snorts then starts coughing trying to hide it.

"That's Sirius Black," He says and I can tell from his voice he's trying to hide his smile, "he's just upset he's not sitting on a date across from Moony."

I turn to face him faster than a person could blink and feel my face turning red and try to force the red to recede, I am not going to give him the satisfaction of me blushing. Moony has turned his usual shade of scarlet and has slid so low in his seat that his eyes are equal with the table. I notice his eyes have changed shades of green going from a bright forest to a much darker shade, like the outside of a cucumber.

"Oh! We're not on a date!" Cassiopeia clarifies and I turn to look at her, my stomach untangling itself. Moony nods vigorously sitting up slightly straighter and taking a sip of his tea. Prongs smirks at me, I glare back, and pulls up a chair to sit down next to Cassiopeia.

"So, Pia, where are you from?" I roll my eyes and grab twenty sickles from Prongs's pocket and walk to the counter. As I'm waiting in line I see Moony smiling pleadingly at me as Cassiopeia begins to tell Prongs off for calling her that.

I walk back balancing a plate stacked high with biscuits and scones and two steaming drinks. I hand the coffee to Prongs. Moony looks at him with utter disgust and sips his tea slightly louder than was necessary. I smile slightly at him, trying to keep my scowl in place, and James glares at the pair of us. Cassiopeia bursts out laughing at all of us, I turn to look at her and she smiles slightly.