Chapter 21

Chapter 21

I couldn't get rid of the smile plastered on my face as we all sat in the dining room, talking mostly about everything. I've missed these kinds of talks with my family, all the laughters and the careless jokes that seemed to rebond what we've lost. I've never seen them this happy ever since-

"Sweetie, do you know what date tomorrow is?" Mom's question snaps me out of my thoughts. "I hope you didn't forget."

"Oh I didn't mother." Besides, I was just thinking about it.

Louis puts his hand on my lap under the table. "Is there something to celebrate tomorrow? Is it your birthday?"

I shook my head, giggling. "My birthday was so long ago. It's-"

"Her baby sister's 10th birthday."

Louis chokes in his own saliva and I chuckled seeing how surprised he was. "You never told me you had a sister."

"She passed away a few days after she was born. I was eight when that happened. But I remember it had something to do with a heart complication."

"I'm sorry," He sighs and rubs his hand on my thigh, sending goosies all over my body.

"It's alright." I honestly tell him.

The thing is, that was the reason why my parents have expected too much from me since then. They never tried after being so broken and they would bring all the hatred in the world upon me. I was young and naïve and as I grew up, I learned to get used to it- to being pushed around and always being controlled.

It was hard to see them depressed and even if we never witnessed her grow up, we still loved her to bits. And every year we would celebrate her birth but never her death. It's good to know we have our own little angel up in heaven.

"We could go there tomorrow before we leave for London." Louis suggests.

"You're leaving for London tomorrow?" Mom's eyes widen but she doesn't look intimidated. Well I guess it's just that they didn't expect it to be so soon.

I nod. "My job starts after a couple days. That's why we're also here to pick some of my stuff up."

"I have a few empty boxes in the basement. You could use that for packing."

"That sounds great! I believe I better start now." It was already 6 in the evening and I didn't want Louis driving late at night.

"Do you need any help?" The Brtish boy asks me. "You know, to save time."

"Wouldn't it be weird to show this lad here the shrine in your-"

"Dad!" I exclaim, stopping him with my stare. Now I'm fully aware that mom hasn't taken down all my posters and that makes me feel embarassed and enlightened at the same time.

I turn back to Louis who was laughing. "I'd rather ask mom for help."

My bedroom seemed the same since the last time I saw it, except for the unmade bed and dusty lamps. I didn't feel alone though. Mom was helping me pack the right stuff, including all those books I used to read in my past time.

The boxes were already full and when I had to tape the last one closed, I heard a few sniffs coming from the woman beside me.

"I'm so proud of you honey." She whispers in between her sobs. "So proud. I want you to know that."

All I did was hug her so tight, letting my own tears fall down my rosy cheeks. "Thanks mom. I love you."

"I love you too-"