The 75th Reaping

________________________

DISCLAIMER:

I do not own any part of the hunger games series

This story is set after the first book/film

Not all details of the films will be completely accurate to the original storyline. Some things may be altered due to my own storyline
________________________
"Aiden?" I ask
"Yeah, what's up" he smiles
"Um, will you walk with me? To the Reaping?" I gulp, scared for the response
"Of course i will"

He takes my hand in his and we walk to the Reaping, slowly but surely. His grip was tight around my hands, as if i was going to fall off the face of the earth. I glanced up at him occasionally, his deep brown eyes staring back behind his red hair. Aiden and I have been friends for years, as long as I remember. He's always been there for me and my family, I don't know what I'd do without him.

***

It's not going to be me, it's not going to be me I repeat in my head whilst I wait in orderly lines at the reaping. The usual message plays when the tv turns on. The screen changes to President snow at the capital stood in between two bowls. One with the male figures, one with the Females.

This year the rules had been altered to punish us from any rebellion that could occur. As usual, a male and a female from every district would play in the games. In addition, two male and two female victors would be thrown into the mix. The screen occasionally changed to show the victors. Some confident, some annoyed, some clearly terrified. Then it went to show  Katniss Everdeen, Peeta Mellark and Haymitch Abernathy. Looking at Katniss something washed over me. The way her expression was drew on her face differently to others scared me. The absence of any emotion on her face.

"The first Female tribute for the 75th Hunger Games is" he spoke, picking out a piece of dainty paper "Enobaria, District 2" A home victor, good "The second female tribute for the 75th Hunger Games is" silence fell "Katniss Everdeen, District 12" Gasps of empathy filled the air "The first male tribute for the 75th Annual Hunger Games is" "Haymich Abernathy, District 12"

The screen cut to Peeta Mellark speaking "I volunteer as tribute"

"Peeta no! You can't!" Katniss screeched

"I can, I volunteer" he gulped, as if no one heard him

The screen cut back to Snow "the final tribute for the 75th annual hunger games is" silence fell for the last time "Finnick Odair"

The tv screen evaporated, meaning that our reaping would begin. Everything started spinning in my head. Faces of people I love, conversations I last had with them, happy memories ... Suddenly it changed to shots of them dying miserably in the hunger games. Gory, brutal deaths.

My thoughts was interrupted by the women at the front (who's name I hadn't been bothered to learn) speaking. "Ladies first as usual" she spoke cheerfully. Her footsteps banged around in my head, louder every step closer she got to the cup. Her hand dipped in and swirled around, procrastinating as much as it can. The paper pulled out eagerly, dancing in mid air. "The female tribute of district two is, Isa Mirren" My heart stopped completely, but I was hoping someone would volunteer for me. But no one did. Probably to do with the fact that there was more tributes, past victors.

"Isa? Isa no! You can't Isa please!" My younger sister yelled, running towards me. I bend down to her size and hold her tight in my arms. "I'll be ok" I whisper in her ear

"Come on dear, hop along" I turned back to see Charlotte and she smiled, forcing my feet forwards to the stage, feeling like my legs would give in at any moment. The only thing keeping me upright was the peacekeeper behind me. She reached out for my hand and I take it. I know she knows how nervous I am, considering that she almost fell herself due to me shaking. "Now the boys" Strange enough I hoped by the odds my brother would be the male tribute, but I knew the chances was close to 0. "The male tribute is, Phoenix Cade" Pheonix Cade? Oh my god no. No no no no no anyone anyone but him.

Phoenix Cade had gone through school with me. He and his gang of goons walked round bullying whoever whenever. He follows you around like a shadow, you can't go anywhere without him. Phoenix is 16, two years older than me, same age as my brother, and will go for anyone in his way. Anyone in sight. Before I realise he is on stage with me and we are meant to shake hands. I stumble over my actions and raise my arm defiantly before we are dragged off to the Justice Building.

(A/N : Sorry this chapter is a bit half arsed, I wanted to get the Reaping over with so we can get to the interesting stuff. The next chapter will be better)