Chapter Three

Stirring the bowl of broth balanced precariously in my lap with a spoon, I watch the herbs swim about in the murky water. My appetite has fled and my head is buzzing. Billions of thoughts are crammed into every nook and cranny of my brain, triggering the onset of a migraine. One that not even the strongest of medicine can cure.

"Hey."

Glancing up, my eyes meet those of girl with brunette hair in two braids, one resting against each shoulder. A pair of square, black-rimmed spectacles are perched on the tip of her nose, framing two large, hazel eyes. On either side of her are two girls, exactly alike, from their shoulder-length raven hair to their sea-blue eyes. I smile.

"Hey, Val. Lana. Jas." I nod at the twins, acknowledging their presence. They both smile back at me.

"You okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

Val raises an eyebrow then nods at the broth. "You've been staring at that for the past goddamned quarter of an hour. Look at it; it's stone cold. What's up?"

"Nothing. I just have a bit of a migraine, that's all."

Val frowns. Her eyes narrow sceptically. Her hand slips into the pocket of her jumpsuit and she withdraws a packet of acetaminophen. "Here, take some of these."

I shake my head, swatting them away. "It's not that kind of a migraine, Val."

"Then what sort is it?" She puts her hands on her hips, pursing her lips. "Come on, what sort of migraine have you got?"

"Didn't think there was more than one type," Lana mutters to herself. Jas elbows her in the stomach and she lets out a squeal. "No need to be that aggressive."

Sighing, I shake my head. "Forget it." Scooping up some of the broth with the spoon, I bring it to my lips and take a sip. Cold, just like Val said. Putting the spoon back in the bowl, I carefully place it on the floor and gently push it under my bunk. "Where's Renée?"

"Here."

Val turns to the side to reveal Renée standing there, grinning at us. She steps forward and sits down next to me. "What's new, guys?"

"Naomi's not telling us something."

I glare at Val. "There's nothing wrong." Glancing to Renée, she gives me a knowing look. I sigh. "Honestly, I'm fine."

"Has it got something to do with earlier?" My body tenses. Renée narrows her eyes, nodding her head slowly. "Come on. Spit it out."

Muttering quietly under my breath, I glance from side to side and check that nobody's prying in on our conversation. Deeming it safe enough, I beckon my friends closer and clear my throat.

"When-"

Bang. Bang. Bang. Three swift, sharp raps at the door capture our attention. Thirty-nine heads turn in its direction. One brave girl, Natalie, stands up and picks her way down the narrow pathway between the two lines of bunks. All eyes follow her down to the doorway. Her hand makes contact with the handle. Four fingers curl around the cold metal. In one clean motion, a click clips the air and the door swings open, to reveal the matron. Miss Lee. She beams at us.

"Good evening, ladies," she chirps, bustling into the dormitory, glancing from side to side at our untidy bunks. "I see you've kept on top of your chores."

An icy silence strangles the atmosphere, squeezing it so tight the sound falls limply at our feet. Every second, like clockwork, a single footstep resounds off the walls as Miss Lee strides from one end of the room to the other. A few moments later, she stops in her tracks. She turns around. A warm smile lights up her tired, wizened face.