Chapter Nineteen

"It is to my deepest regret that Stonestar has left to join StarClan. " Shadestar spoke at the gathering. "Stormfall is my deputy and we have three new apprentices. Nettlepaw, Mintpaw, and Flowerpaw." Shadestar informed the clans. The other clans cheered for the new apprentices. Lilystar stepped forward.

    "Now that new leaf is approaching fast, prey is returning. All is well in RiverClan." Lilystar didn't have much to say. The gathering was short and Shadestar jumped off the rock and joined the rest of her clan, Stormfall close beside her. Ever since she became leader and Stormfall's mate, she had been very happy. Oakbriar joined the two of them.

    "I'm so glad that leafbare is almost over!" Oakbriar meowed happily.

    "Yeah, it will be nice to have some warmth." Stormfall meowed. "I hate the cold weather." Shadestar nodded happily.

    "Me too." She said. "I like the sunshine."

    "I think we all do." Oakbriar joked. "Let's get home." She said, bounding ahead. He purred and nuzzled shadestar who returned his gesture. She was happy with him.

    "I love you." Stormfall meowed.

    "I love you too." Shadestar purred. The patrol of ShadowClan warriors returned to camp and into their nests. Shadestar slowly fell asleep

    She awoke in StarClan to see Badgerclaw and Yellowfang. She gulped.

    "Is something wrong?" She asked. She was leader now, and she expected any visits from Starclan to be about omens or prophecies and her pelt itched with uncertainty and fear.

    "Trust your instincts." Yellowfang meowed. "Your heart knows what you want." Shadestar tilted her head. She remembered the joy that Oakbriar felt with Stormheart and her kits. She remembered Stormfall telling her she would be a great mother.

    "Can leaders have kits?" She asked.

    "Follow your heart." Badgerclaw echoed. Shadestar watched them fade away.

    "Wait, don't go!" Shadestar called after them, trying to run after them, but her paws wouldn't move. Slowly she started fading away and she yelled but no one heard her. Then she awoke in her nest. She shook her head to clear her thoughts. Stormfall padded in with a freshly caught squirrel. Shadestar smiled.

    "Is that for me?" Shadestar asked. Stormfall dropped the squirrel at her paws.

    "I caught it for both of us." He purred. "I know squirrel is your favorite." Shadestar purred and licked his cheek. He was so very sweet.

    "Thank you." She meowed and she took the first bite. He took the second. The two of them ate in silence. When they finished the two of them curled up next to each other. Shadestar couldn't be happier than she was right now.

***************************************

    It was time for Badgerkit and Silverkit to become apprentices and Mintpaw and Flowerpaw to be warriors. Nettlepaw was behind in his warrior training because of his sickness as a kit, but his siblings were ready to be warriors. She hoped Nettlepaw understood. Shadestar took in a deep breath. This would be her first ceremony. She was very nervous as she stepped out to call the meeting. She swallowed and cleared her throat. She saw Robinfoot fussing over her kits, making sure they looked presentable. She smiled.

    "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here for a Clan meeting!" Shadestar yowled happily. The Clan looked up and gathered around. Robinfoot hustled her kits over, and Shadestar took in a deep breath.

    "Badgerkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Badgerpaw . I ask StarClan to watch over you and guide you until you find in your paws the strength and courage of a warrior."

Shadestar motioned for Oakbriar to step forward,

    "Oakbriar, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You will be the mentor to Badgerpaw and I expect you to pass on all you know to Badgerpaw." Shadestar meowed. The young tom touched noses with Oakbriar and Shadestar felt a surge of happiness and pride for her sister. She then beckoned for Silverkit to step forward.

    "Silverkit you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Silverpaw. I ask StarClan to watch over you and guide you until you find in your paws the strength and courage of a warrior." Shadestar than beckoned with her tail for Crowpelt to step forward. The tom nodded in response, stepping forward.

    "Crowpelt you are ready to take on an apprentice. You had received excellent. You will be the mentor of Silverpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Silverpaw."

    "Silverpaw! Badgerpaw! Silverpaw! Badgerpaw!" The clan yowled. Shadestar smiled at her clan. She nodded to Mintpaw and Flowerpaw to step forward.

    "And we have two new warriors to name. I'm sorry you can't join your siblings, Nettlepaw, but I guarantee you'll be a warrior soon." She looked at the young ginger tom who nodded.

    "It's okay! I understand!" Nettlepaw called out. The Clan smiled warmly at Shadestar. She felt happiness and peace wash over her. This was her destiny. This is where she belonged. She beckoned Mintpaw forward. The energetic shecat bounded forward.

    "I, Shadestar, leader of ShadowClan , call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this Apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend her to you as a Warrior in her turn." Mintpaw looked up with happiness shining in her eyes. Pinetail watched from afar, happiness finally showing in him as well. And pride.

    "Mintpaw, do you promise to uphold the Warrior Code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

    "I do!" Mintpaw said excitedly

    "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your Warrior name. Mintpaw from this moment you will be known as Mintsky. StarClan honors your energy your loyalty, and your honesty, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ShadowClan" Mintsky touched noses with Shadestar and then bounded over to Jayspirit and then to Pinetail. Shadestar happily beckoned for Flowerpaw to step forward.

    "I, Shadestar, leader of ShadowClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this Apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend her to you as a Warrior in her turn." Flowerpaw shifted on her paws, and she seemed nervous and anxious. But she looked up with happiness shining in her eyes.

    "Flowerpaw, do you promise to uphold the Warrior Code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

    "I do!" Flowerpaw said.

    "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your Warrior name. Flowerpaw from this moment you will be known as Flowerheart. StarClan honors your energy your loyalty, and your honesty, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ShadowClan" Flowerheart touched noses with her, and then she ran over to Jayspirit.

"Mintsky! Flowerheart! Mintsky! Flowerheart!"