Chapter One

Jessa's POV
I waited for the next blow, hopefully it wouldn't be as bad as the first. But I was wrong, the slap made me hit the wall.
"You useless piece of garbage!" My step-father roared at me. I whimpered as I slid down the wall, leaving a small trail of blood.
"Please stop...I-I didn't do anything!" I lamely replied.
"Didn't do anything!?" He moved towards me and grabbed a fistful of hair, "I get to see a worthless, stupid, nobody in front of my eyes every stinking morning!" He lifted me up slightly forward and slammed my head back to the sheetrock wall. Then he grabbed his beer and stormed up to his bedroom.

I slid up to a sitting position feeling the knot forming on the back of my head. I wiped away the blood from my split lip with a cleaning rag I was using earlier. Slowly, I stood, my legs wobbly, knees wanting to buckle underneath me. Going to my room, I silently tug under the backpack that was underneath my bed. What you could call a bed. I pulled open the zipper inch, by inch, even though no one would hear me. I took a few items from an old shoe box that I could keep my things in, put them in my bag, then slowly snuck back down the stairs. Grabbing a little bit of food I could from the kitchen, I silently opened the front door and closed it behind me.
Ok Jess, let's try to start a new life.