6. Quality

Camila Cabello

I stood outside of the school gates staring at the vast building in front of me. Miami Primary was the chosen school I'd allowed my children to attend until they were old enough to go up to the next level. However, neither of my children had much fun at school due to them being different. It was a Monday night, four days since I met up with Lauren at the park, and I was asked to come in for a meeting with Raine and Mason's head teacher Mr Johnstone. He had been motoring the twins' recently after the reports of bullying— especially with Mason.

Despite this, I was positive that the school hadn't done much about my son being the victim of harassment from other boys his age and above. Raine got picked on occasionally too, but because she wasn't too out there with herself, most of the children didn't know much about her. Mason, however, did not conform to societies norms, and therefore he was a target of bullying.

I had only met Mr Johnstone twice, once at a parents evening and again when we had our first meeting about the bullying incidents. Even then, it was only five minutes long as I had to go to work straight after. Now, I hoped to speak openly to him about my concerns and let him know that if the bullying worsens, I would be taking my children out of the school and put them somewhere else.

Oh, and one more thing. I'd invited Lauren to join me.

Initially, I hadn't thought of asking Lauren to come with me to the meeting. However, I knew it was the right thing to do. She was their mom, despite them not exactly knowing. When I'd mentioned to her that I was off to meet the twins' headmaster, she'd insisted on coming along. In a way, I felt giddy that she was joining me because it just made me trust her more that she was going to be a real mom. However, I also felt like she wasn't there yet. She'd met them twice, and her children didn't even know who she was.

The meeting was in five minutes, so I leaned against the lamppost waiting for Lauren's arrival. The building was very modern, with white brick walls and big open windows. It was rather big, one large block with a couple of porter cabins scattered around the playground. The playground, too, was vast with a mixture of concrete and bright green grass. There was a little football / basketball pitch in the corner and then little toy boxes around with dolls in them. I rolled my eyes at that. What a divide between males and females. No wonder my boy was getting picked on.

"Camz?" I heard a ruffled voice behind me call my name. I spun around and saw Lauren in all her glory. She was wearing a tight fitted leather black dress with a leather jacket, ebony high heels and her face all made up. Her dark lipstick complimented her usual pale complexion and her jet black hair which ran almost to her waist. Her bright emerald eyes were fixated on me and she smirked, probably realising I was checking her out.

Clearing my throats, I tore my eyes away from her body and settled for her deep green orbs. "Um, you know it's just a small meeting between us and the head teacher, right? It's not a fashion show. Do you want him to be drooling all over you whilst we talk about the twins?"

"Oh," Lauren mumbled furrowing her perfectly sculptured brows. "I'm sorry, I've just never done this before, obviously. I didn't really think about what kind of dress code I had to go by... I just wore my funeral clothes."

"That's your funeral outfit?" I gawped, snorting. "I don't know what funerals you've been to, but that looks more like a club outfit if I'm honest."

"Well, does it really matter? What's wrong with looking nice? Plus, maybe I wanted to impress you a little. I like to see your face when I wear revealing stuff," she admitted with a smirk again, clearly amused when I blushed deeply. It was true, she'd always had this effect on me, because I used to beg her to wear clothing like that when we were dating. I inwardly cringed at myself in the past.