7. Situations

Lauren Jauregui

Normani had been my best friend for as long as I could remember, and I'd never imagined to feel so awkward with her. We had agreed to never speak about what happened with us after I'd left Camila, especially after I broke down about it in front of her and accused her of taking advantage of me. I knew that was a harsh accusation to make, but at the time, I had to put the blame on someone except myself.

Anyway, for a while now, Normani had decided to crash at my apartment, especially since both of us lived alone and we decided that if we shared rent we could just be roommates. However, recently I kept thinking perhaps letting her stay would jeopardise my relationship with Camila. If I was determined to get Camila back with me, how could I allow somebody who I had slept with to crash with me?

I couldn't just kick Mani out though. She was my best friend, and the only one who wasn't involved in drugs and partying like the rest of my friends. She was a good influence for me and somebody who'd always been there for me. I didn't want to hurt her.

So when I got home after the parents evening malarkey, I wasn't surprised to see the slim figure lounged on my crappy second hand soda watching TV on a small battered screen. She had a couple of empty dirty plates surrounding her as well as a bottle of soda and wrappers. Clearly she had had a great time without me there tonight. I rolled my eyes; another reason to move her out.

When I slammed the door and entered the living room, Mani's eyes snapped away from the television and fixated the dark orbs onto me. Her eyes widened as she drank in my appearance. "Damn, Jauregui. Where have you been?"

"Nowhere special," I replied, kicking off my heels before collapsing on the armchair opposite her. "Well, you look like you've been having the time of your life. How much have you eaten since I was gone? I was only out a couple of hours. Binge eating much."

Mani chuckled and shrugged. "Just some stuff in the fridge that would've gone out of date tomorrow. And some chocolate... also, I'm thinking of ordering some fried chicken tonight, what do you think? I mean, I just thought theres nothing in and—"

"Mani," I stopped her, resisting the urge to roll my eyes.

Normani furrowed her brows and raised both her hands in surrender. "Okay, I know I had it yesterday too, but damn, that place is fine. And I know you enjoyed it too... or, um, would've enjoyed it, if I had saved you some. Sorry, Laur."

"I'm not talking about chicken, Mani," I shook my head and raised a brow to the dark skinned girl opposite me. "Look, I need to tell you something. I know you've been wondering why I've been out multiple times these past couple of weeks, and I know that although you don't like prying, you're practically dying to know what I've been keeping from you. And I also know that what I'm going to tell you will shock you, and you will probably feel that way for a while. Hell, maybe you'll completely disown me as your friend, but I need to—I need to let it out."

I had her attention now. She adjusted her position on the couch so that she was sitting crossed legs and facing me. Her dark glossy eyes were fixated completely on me, and they showed genuine concern for me. That made it a hundred times worse.

"Okay, Laur. I promise I'm listening now. Go ahead." She pushed me, biting her lip worriedly.

I took a deep breath and fiddled with my fingers. "So... you remember Camila, don't you, Mani?"

"Of course," my best friend blinked at me in surprise at the name I hadn't mentioned to her in years. I could see confusion now plastered on the girls face, and I could tell she wasn't expecting me to start speaking about my ex again. "Camila Cabello, the girl who broke you and left me to pick up the pieces. Why? Don't tell me you're starting to get bad again, Lo. You know you're much, much better than she is, right?"