two

JJK | 6:23 p.m. | staccato cafe

"that's your eighth cup of coffee today."

hoseok's eyes fluttered to the paper cup in jungkook's hand.

"i know."

"he's calling for his early death," seokjin smirked, adding sweetener to the tea he had gotten. "maybe it's our influence?"

"he's not doing the drugs yet," namjoon retorted. "no beer, no coke."

"yet."

hoseok's voice was low and joking, and his smile stretched from one cheek to the other.

"this is a great combination," jungkook said. "university, a vulnerable freshman, and some bad influences, huh?"

"yo, how's uni been treating you?"

the loud voice interrupted namjoon as he was about to say something, and two other boys made their way to the table.

"yoongi! jimin!"

jungkook's eyes went wide with excitement.

"hey kid, it's been a while, huh?"

yoongi ruffled his hair and smiled, as jimin made his way to hoseok.

"has jungkook been surviving?" he smirked, knowing full well how jungkook complained about the workload and lack of sleep. "heard he's overbooked himself and is regretting it."

"yeah, i hear about it every damn night in bed from the top bunk," hoseok said. "right, kook?"

"oh, shut up you old man."

"and he drinks approximately eight to fifteen cups of coffee a day." namjoon teased. "he's going to somehow die from a caffeine overdose, im telling you."

"that's not healthy." yoongi raised his eyebrows and punched jungkook lightly on the shoulder. "if you die, i'm not responsible."

"bad influences," jungkook smirked. "they're all bad influences."

his eyes flickered from person to person, taking in the warmth and baggy, thrifted clothing, and his nose taking in the soft smell of old cigarettes.

but they're also my family.

they're all i have, and i love them.

KTH | 12:53 a.m. | apartment 263

his side throbbed with every breath he took.

the apartment was dark; slowly filling up with the blackness because his dad had left the house and turned off all of the lights.

he hated the darkness and he wanted to turn the lights back on, but it hurt so much to move.

teasing sounds came from his stomach, begging for food, begging for water, and his starved lungs were begging for air. he was used to being hit, but it had been a particularly brutal night. the bruises were screaming at him and pushing thick needles into his skin to the extent that he couldn't move anymore.

so he stayed there, laying on the cold tiles of the kitchen floor with the water pitcher on the counter just inches from him, but too many inches away for him to be able to reach.

he wanted to die.

JJK | 4:12 a.m. | corner convenience store

"hoseok," jungkook whispered.

"yeah?"

"how much longer?"