Regret and Reconcile

Why are you running from me?

Those words continued to echo inside of Courtney's head as she stood paralyzed, eyes downcast, too ashamed to even look at Olivia who was crying from all the built up emotion that welled inside of her. The blonde was aware that Olivia was still looking at her through her salty tears but Courtney couldn't summon the strength to lift her head a few centimeters.

"Are you going to say anything to me, Courtney? Are you even going to give me the decency to look me, your best friend, in the eye?" Olivia demanded shakily, sobbing in between sentences.

Courtney clenched both of her fists in response. She wanted to speak but what was she supposed to say? That a picture taken from Mari's phone elicited a reaction from her she never expected? It was true she joked around often on skits and vlogs about her relationship with Olivia, how she went along with the claim that "Courtivia is real" because it pleased their fans and that it felt nice to be shipped with her best friend. Yet Courtney never expected that she would ever develop something more for Olivia beyond friendship. Every time she looked at the photo, the blonde remembered the way Olivia smelled, a fruity pine smell with a lingering scent of cocoa, and the way the older girl relaxed and fit strangely perfectly in her arms, just before Courtney succumbed to sleep. It made her heart tightened. How was she supposed to explain all of that to Olivia? Why the hell were feelings so goddamn complicated?!

"Courtney!" Olivia snapped impatiently, startling the blonde. Unintentionally, it made Courtney lift her head up and finally look at Olivia directly in the eyes. Olivia added more softly and calmly, taking a step closer. "Courtney... I'm your best friend." She took another step. And another. "Whatever is bothering you or if it's something I did or say, you can tell me." Courtney was hyper-aware that Olivia was now inches away from her but it was as if her feet here firmly planted to the ground, unable to move away. Olivia saw the way Courtney's green eyes flickered away and quickly closed the distance between them, wrapping her arms around the blond's waist and resting her head on Courtney's shoulder. She felt Courtney stiffen in her arms, but to her relief, Courtney gradually relaxed. "I promise I won't be mad, whatever it is. I just... I don't like how you've been avoiding me. It hasn't been a day but you giving me the cold shoulder... it hurts a lot, especially while James is acting so differently too."

Hearing the weak and pleading tone in Olivia's voice was enough to bring Courtney close to tears, having to bite her bottom lip to hold them back. She was being selfish, avoiding the problem, avoiding the source of her confusing feelings, that she hurt her best friend more than she realized. In reality, she had missed her best friend's presence. It was only nine hours into the day but it felt like days. She didn't realize how mentally exhausting it was to avoid someone you care about, potentially... have feelings for.

Courtney slowly lifted her arms and wrapped them around Olivia's neck, pulling the older girl closer into a hug. "I'm sorry... I'm really sorry, Olivia. What's going on in my head right now is complicated to explain. Give me time and I promise I'll tell you what's going on. Again, I'm really sorry. Please forgive me for being such a shitty friend."

Olivia's swollen, puffy eyes gradually closed as a wave of comfort and relief washed over her. It felt wonderful to have her best friend back and she told herself that this was one of the best hugs she has ever received. Suddenly, everything felt alright again knowing she had Courtney by her side again, the corners of her mouth tugging into a smile.

"I understand. I forgive you, Court." 

~~~~~

Several meters away, Mari and Sohinki were watching them from afar, hiding behind a tree. While both were relieved that Courtney and Olivia made up, Sohinki couldn't help but sigh exasperatedly Mari. 

"Hey, Mari. They're okay now. Let's go back. I wanna finish my delicious burger that you made me abandon," Sohinki said while tugging Mari's arm.

"Hold on a second, Sohinki! I just want to take another picture of this glorious moment of their reconciliation!" Mari insisted while holding up her phone at the Smosh Squad gals.

Sohinki could only shake his head at her. "You're so creepy."

~~~~~

Long after Mari and Sohinki managed to leave the area without being noticed, Courtney and Olivia walked hand-in-hand back towards the campsite. There was quiet air between them, a calm after the storm, that placed a smiles on both of their faces. Courtney ended up breaking the silence first and giving Olivia's hand a squeeze.

"Hey, 'Liv?"

"Yeah, Court?"

Courtney hesitated briefly but managed to flash a brighter smile. "Our date after the games is still on, right?"

Olivia blinked a couple of times before letting out a soft laugh as a playful smile graced the Asian's lips. "Maybe."

"Maybe?" the blonde jutted out her lower lip childishly, trying to mask her disappointment considering now she wanted this date to happen more than ever. "I know you can't resist me, Olivia Sui. I know deep down you are tempted by my charm!"

"Who knows? Maybe I am. You'll have to use your so called charm to convince me for sure," Olivia replied cheekily.

"There you go again with the maybes. I wish you'd give me a straight answer."

"When you tell me what's on your mind, then I'll give you a straight answer."

Courtney glanced down at their hands, breathing in slowly, then laced her fingers with Olivia's, butterflies fluttering around in her stomach.

"Deal."

~~~~~

(I managed to post a chapter a lot faster than I expected. Woo! Hopefully you all will enjoy it. I want to write some happy Courtivia now, heh. Maybe a oneshot in the future. Who knows.

I know I don't update as frequent as a lot of you would like, but I'm so grateful to those willing to wait for my story. You guys are the best. Goodbye for now~