1

"You told me you loved me!" He cries staring into the dark, unforgiving barrel.

"Well you're old enough to know, Marius," she says, "people lie."

"What about the letters you wrote? And I've looked into your eyes, Sophia, you loved me! You can't fake that!" He reasons desperately , scrambling backwards until he hits the barrier of the roof.

"Wrong again." She says taking slow, hollow steps.

Her gun's aim, steady as the horizon, follows the man as he attempts to escape his fate.

"What have i ever done to you? What did I do to make you hate me so much?" He cries.

"Oh you poor wretched thing, do you truly believe that i feel anything for you?" she scoffs.

"I thought..."

"Wrong." She finishes.

He whimpers, at last realizing that his death is guaranteed. She gently places the gun over his heart, "Any last words?"

"Why are you doing this?"

Her lips curl upwards into a blood-curdling grin, "Why not?"

He gapes at her in horror. How could she be so heartless as to take a child's father for no reason other than her own amusement? She blows him a kiss before firing eight bullets into his left breast.

"Goodbye Darling." She says in a way so tender it's cruel.

She puts her gun back into her coat pocket before reaching into his coat pocket and taking out a cigarette and a lighter out of the carton. She puts the carton back in his pocket and lights the cigarette. She shoves the lighter into a pocket of her own and checks his other pocket. Her fingers wrap around a small velvet box. Just then her phone rings. She pulls out her phone with her free hand and puts it to her ear.

"Hello? This is Isabella speaking." She says opening the box to find an antique locket.

"Isabella, my love are you on your way over yet?"

"Not yet Mama, something came up at work, but I'll be on my way soon. And I've gotten you a little something to excuse my tardiness."

"Well hurry home, Love."

"I will. Love you Mama." She says before hanging up.

"This has been lovely," she says turning her attention back to the corpse, "but I'm afraid I have places to be."

With that, she leaves to catch the next subway train home. Once she left the roof the thought of the man never entered her mind again.