Chapter 3: Feverish

The next day I'm barely awake as I don't see Daniel at all. He's not in my science class or anything. Why do I care? The school day drags as I start walking home until I see a figure at the community pond. It's a male sitting under a  willow tree with his head resting on the trunk. Wait a minute, I know that hair. I walk over and see Daniel with his eyes closed leaning his head against the big tree.
   "Now why would Anna Thomas be here?" he asks not even opening his eyes. He's in another pair of jeans but this time in a band shirt with the words "Imagine Dragons" on it.
   "How did you know it was m-"
   "Because my insides get all weird and my body just feels awake," Daniel breezily answers.
   "Oh, why weren't you at school?" I walk over and drop my backpack to the grass. I make him feel awake? I feel butterflies fluttering in my stomach. The sun is still high in the sky as there is a cool breeze.
   "I was feeling feverish Anna," he says my name like a prayer.
   "How did you know my name?"
   "I asked around." He shrugs casually and finally opens his eyes to me. When he spots me he smiles and flashes those deep dimples again.
   "So you know my name and where I live, what are you doing, stalking me?" I grin looking at my hands.
   "I moved here Anna. Why you?" he asks all of the sudden frustrated.
   "What?" I stare at him with confusion.
   "Why are you over here?" he asks.
    "Just asking, I can leave." I shrug and am about to get up but then he stops me. He wraps his hand around my wrist.
   "Please don't go. I know this sounds strange but when you're around, my stomach flips every time I hear your voice now. It's been only a day but being away from you makes me feel.....empty." Daniel looks at my hand as he doesn't meet my gaze. I sit back down and he doesn't let go of me.
   "I'm not leaving yet, you can let go." I laugh lightly feeling uncomfortable.
   "It soothes me not letting you go," he says slowly even though this is the second time he's touched me.  Then I find a book in his hand that says Romeo and Juliet.
   "You're reading that? I love that classic tragedy," I say feeling his big warm and strong hand wrapped around my wrist.
   "Want me to read out loud then?"
   "Uh, I have homework."
   "Stay, how about only an hour?" he suggests. I sigh and nod as his hand lets go of me. Does he feel reassured knowing that I'll stay an hour? Then he starts reading with his smooth musical voice. I can hear the fountain in the pond running as the willow tree above us provides shade. My eye lids feel heavy as I yawn and close my eyes. All I can hear is Daniel's beautiful voice next to me reading the wonderful words of Shakespeare.
   I later wake up and my head is leaning on Daniel's shoulder, he's not reading anymore. He's looking out at the pond with his hand on my knee. Then I realize how intimate this moment is and stand up quickly.
   "Um, sorry how long have I been out?" I ask looking at my phone.
   "Two hours," he replies peering up at me.
   "Crap, I've got so much to do. Thank you for reading to me, I'll see you later Daniel," then I turn away blushing as I start walking.
   "Good bye Anna," Daniel says faintly. What just happened? Did he actually admit having feelings for me? No, just focus on what's important. When I get home I FaceTime Rachel and Bri to tell them what happened. I'm confused the rest of the night as I toss and turn in bed. I fall asleep with the image of Daniel and his dimples in my mind.