Chapter 4 - Just hold on

Louis was strutting through his dressing room with small, antsy steps. You would think that someone who had done over 330 sold out shows shouldn't get stage fright anymore. And Louis knew how to deal with pre-show nerves, he really did. But this was different. So different.

He wasn't about to go on stage with three of his best mates, no, this time he was on his own. Well, almost. Of course there was Steve, who had been an amazing support for him during the last few weeks, but Louis was all alone on the singing part. For the first time since his X Factor audition. And he was shitting himself.

"You're gonna do great, mate! We've got this. You've got this, I know it." Louis was startled out of his mind when Steve laid a calming hand on his arm.

"I don't know... I'm so scared, I'm not ready, Steve!"

"You are. You were ready a long time for this, Louis."

Steve was right. They decided to sing this song at the X Factor finale a few weeks ago, after Louis' had played the song for his mum. She was in tears and she immediately told him that she wanted to see him perform this song for her on the stage where everything began. It was her last wish. Louis couldn't deny her that, really.

"But she was supposed to be here. She wanted to see me here on this stage one last time." His voice broke on the last few words.

"And she will see you. I'm sure. She's gonna be so proud of you doing this for her."

When Steve pulled him into a hug, he couldn't hold back the tears any longer and allowed himself to let go for a moment. After a few seconds, he pulled back, wiped his eyes and collected himself.

"Okay." He let out a deep breath. "Let's do this."

~~~

Okay, so Louis may have underestimated how hard it would be. Just a little bit. It helped that the song was upbeat and fun, otherwise he was sure he couldn't have done it. His heart was beating so fast and he was shaking, but he pulled through.

'Oh until it's all been said
It's not over until your dying breath
So what do you want them to say when you're gone?
That you gave up or that you kept going on?'

He tried not to think too much about the words he was singing, just having fun, like his mum would want him to.

'If it all goes wrong, darling just hold on.'

That last line almost got him, but he stayed strong. He did it. Louis looked to his right at Steve, who sent him a big smile and hugged him.

"Well done, mate. You did it!"

Slowly, Louis head cleared and he took in his surroundings. He was here, at the Wembley Arena, thousands of people applauding and screaming, the judges giving them standing ovations. He was speechless. If only his mum could have seen it. No, don't go there, or you will cry.

"Uuh, Louis." Simon caught his attention. "What you've just done, the bravery... I respect you as an artist, I respect you as a person, and -"

Louis felt his throat tighten and his eyes start to water. Please keep it together.

"Your mum was so proud of you Louis, and she was so looking forward to tonight, she's watching down on you now and you've done her proud."

Oh god.

He sent a thank you gesture to Simon, unable to speak and then sent a kiss upwards to his mum before he left the stage with shaking legs.

Steve hugged him again as soon as they were backstage and congratulated him once more.