Chapter 1: THE LEAD

“How much?”

“It depends… What are we talking here? Are we supposed to hold hands in school? Kiss in front of your friends? Make out in the hallway? Say we had sex? What?”

“Could I say we had a one night stand for $100?”

“Deal.”

This have been a mundane conversation to Park Sandara for the last couple months. Geeks, nerds, losers, socially- unaccepted people flocking at her asking her price. It has been her Job. She had been pretending to be their girlfriends, flings, friends-with-benefits, sexual partner or whachamacallit and in return she’ll receive a monetary payment.

It all started when her childhood friend Kwon Jiyong was dumped by University’s hottest chick (Or so the guys say, for she had been wearing almost nothing when coming to school) Kiko Mizuhara, and yes, she’s a Japanese Exchange student.

“Please.. Just act that you’re my girlfriend.” Jiyong begged him one night over the phone.

“Are you kidding me? What makes you think she’ll like you if you have a girlfriend? Are you an idiot?” Dara exclaimed through her cellular device. She had household tasks to tend to but her childhood friend have been bugging her persistently, asking her to make Jap-girl jealous or something.

“Dara.. You’ll just have to act like I’m a perfect boyfriend. That I’m sweet, caring, a good kisser.. Those stuff like I’m an ideal boyfriend material,” Jiyong plead. Sandara heaved a deep sigh. Jiyong was sweet and caring, that much was true. She didn’t know about the good kisser part though.. but she’s sure he’s an ideal boyfriend type. She should know because she had been crushing on him since middle school. But she would’t tell him that though. She didn’t want to lose another person on her life.

In fact, there’s just only two person on her life now. Kwon Jiyong, her childhood friend and Park Sanghyun, her brother and only family. Her father died in an accident months before Sanghyun was born and her mother left them when Sanghyun was 10 and she was 12. It has already been 10 years since that unfortunate day.

“So what do you say?” Jiyong distracted her thoughts. She could hear Jiyong’s please through the line and in all honesty, it  was making both her head and heart ache together.

“Jiyong-“

“Please.. Dara.. Just help me with this..Please..” Jiyong once again begged her.

Sandara immediately pictured her childhood friend with gooey eyes and his lips pointed to a pout, begging her like a lost a puppy in need of its master.

“Ugghh!! OKAY!” His tone was too hard for her to resist.

“Yes!!” Jiyong exclaimed through the device. Dara had to pushed the phone away from her ear in fear of being hearing-impaired.

“In one condition!” Dara added. She could still hear the victory cheers from the other line.

“What? I would do anything..” Jiyong said in a cheerful tone.

Then forget that bimbo and be my boyfriend. That sentence almost slipped out of her lips, it was too tempting. But then again, she didn’t want to ruin the relationship they’re in – a friend relationship – so she settled with:

“You have to treat Sanghyun to lunch for 2 months!”

***

After a couple of weeks, KikoXJiyong existed and so as the rumors that Dara had been soliciting money for sex. The truth was she didn’t even know where that originated because first of all, it was greatly exaggerated and second, she won’t be so damn broke then.